RE: [Chrysler300] 1961 Weight

From: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/equipment/hitches/towing-weight-distribution-systems1.htm

You still need to carefully keep the same ratios of tongue weight and gross trailer weight <http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/towing-capacity/information/gross-trailer-weight.htm>  in mind with a weight distribution hitch, but when you have a heavier load you have to consider how much more tongue weight <http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/towing-capacity/information/tongue-weight.htm>  that actually entails. A weight distribution system is important because it eases the situation by spreading some of that increased tongue weight off the rear axle of the tow vehicle and onto the front axle, as well as the axle (or axles) of the trailer. With that leverage, everything balances out and driving performance increases dramatically. Also, don't forget the tow vehicle's axles each have a gross axle weight rating -- adjusting the weight distribution system can help distribute the weight appropriately.

Weight distributing hitches act a kind of a fulcrum or pivot point in the area of the hitch.  Applying torque with the load bars transfers some of the weight from the rear axle of the tow vehicle to the front axle of the tow vehicle AND to the trailer axle or axles.    I’ve not found a way to measure the weight transfer but I try to keep the elevation of the rear bumper only slightly lower than normal with the force applied.  In any case, use of a weight distributing hitch will add some additional load to the trailer tires.  If one really torques up the load bars it is possible to raise the rear bumper above its normal position which will transfer some of the tow vehicle’s weight to the trailer tires.

Yes, yes—I know…drive that brute.  But the fact is some 300’s are towed and this information is offered to enhance the safety and reliability of trailing.  If anyone has a line on good, strong trailer tires that can take the 75 MPH legal speeds during the summer in the west, let us all know.  I failed to note the brand and size of the tires on the U-Haul trailer I rented last month but they looked to be oversize and very strong.  U-Haul would like to have their trailers kept to a maximum speed of 55 MPH.

C-300-K’ly,

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA  (Heavy rains coming here tonight.  Will turn to heavy snow in the Sierras)

1955 Chrysler C-300 (sans a/c)

1938 Iowa Gal (requires a/c)

2005 Durango (equipped with trailer-towing package, 8,600# towing capacity and a/c)