[Chrysler300] Resending Gasohol additive article

[Chrysler300] Resending Gasohol additive article

Hope this comes thru:

COMPARATIVE EVAULATION OF PREVENTION OF GASOHOL PHASE SEPARATION BY FUEL
ADDITIVES
by Benjamin Kellogg

October 31, 2011

The Lundt Brothers gas station in Blair, Nebraska, in 1934. Their sign
emblazoned with ³Buy Corn Alcohol Gas Here² proves that gasohol is an idea
that has been around for quite some time, at least in Nebraska!

Do ethanol fuel additives really deliver what they promise and help save
your engine from the ravages of E10? In this article, some popular fuel
additives are put to the test.

Did you know that certain fuel additives can increase the stability of fuels
containing ethanol?  Author and chemist Benjamin Kellogg discusses several
readily available additives and how they can make modern fuels less harmful
to your historic vehicles.  This article, which first appeared in the Fall
2011 issue of Army Motors, presents the results of an objective experiment
designed to prove or refute the benefits of ³fuel stabilizers.²  --The
Editors

Introduction:

To design a simple, yet reproducible experiment to test the ³storage
enhancing² properties of fuel stabilizers, I decided to test the ability of
these additives to alter phase separation points. Two additives were
compared by a simple titration experiment.

Background:

E10 gasohol is an inherently hygroscopic (absorbing and retaining water)
solution due to the chemical nature of the ethanol (ethyl alcohol) added to
the petroleum gasoline. The hygroscopic character of the ethanol means that
gasohol will contain water. The actual amount of water that can be held in
solution in E10 varies directly with temperature. At 20° C, E10 can contain
as much as 0.5 ml of water per 100 ml of E10. At -10° C, E10 can only hold
0.3 ml of water per 100 ml of E10.

Once the water content exceeds these limits, the phenomenon of ³phase
separation² will occur. Gasohol phase separation happens when the ethanol
and water components separate from the petroleum gasoline; i.e., the
³phases² of the E10 gasohol solution ³separate.²

During phase separation, the more dense ethanol and water components settle
to the bottom of the container (i.e., the fuel tank), while the less dense
gasoline components rise to the top. The process is essentially
irreversible. If phase separation happens in a fuel tank, corrosion can
occur in the lower aspects of the tank exposed to the ethanol and water
component. Fuel stabilizers purportedly allow a greater amount of water to
remain in solution in the gasohol before phase separation occurs. This claim
could be tested.

Methods:

Two Eastwood ³Fuel Guard² products were obtained for these tests: Fuel Guard
Protection formula to be used for every fill-up and Fuel Stabilizer formula
for fuel stored up to 12 months. These fuel additives were mixed separately
and in combination into 50 ml of E10 gasohol according to manufacturer¹s
instructions. The amounts of each that were added to 50 ml of E10 are given
in the following table:
CONTROL
No additive
Fuel Protection Formula
0.15625 ml
Fuel Stabilization Formula
0.15625 ml
Fuel Protection Formula
and
Fuel Stabilization Formula
0.15625 ml and
0.15625 ml
Additive total = 0.3125

These solutions were placed in flasks and cooled to 10° C in an ice bath.
The solution in each flask was stirred with a magnetic stirrer while
distilled water was titrated in. The end point of each titration was
visually determined upon noting the occurrence of phase separation.

Results:

E10 with no additives underwent phase separation with the addition of 0.30
ml water. In contrast, addition of either the Fuel Protection or Fuel
Stabilization formulas delayed phase separation until the addition of 0.50
and 0.49 ml of water, respectively. Finally, the addition of both the Fuel
Protection and Fuel Stabilization formulas to 50 ml E10 delayed phase
separation until 0.69 ml water was added.

When used separately, either the Eastwood Fuel Protection Formula or Fuel
Stabilization Formula increases the amount of water that can be retained in
solution by E10 gasohol by 66% before phase separation occurs. Furthermore,
the combination of both additives in E10 increases resistance to phase
separation by 133 percent; a significantly better result than when either
product was used alone.

These results demonstrate that the risk of phase separation is reduced when
these products are used in E10 gasohol. The reason for the increased
effectiveness of the combination of the two formulas is unclear. Product
information available to the consumer states that both additives contain
exactly the same chemical ingredients: napthenic oil, hydroethylated
aminoethylamide, and petroleum naptha. The proportions of these ingredients
in the different products are not given (nor were they provided to me
despite a direct request to Eastwood). It is possible that the advantage
derived from combining the Fuel Protection and Fuel Stabilization formulas
represented a mere doubling of the ingredients rather than some other
enhancement derived from combining the two products.

Conclusions:

Eastwood Ethanol Fuel Protection and Fuel Stabilization formulas
significantly increase E10 gasohol resistance to phase separation and
decrease the probability that phase separation will occur in the fuel tank
of stored vehicles.

Epilogue:

Given the results of the foregoing experiment, I will incorporate the fuel
additives into the gasohol that goes into my HMVs. The additive¹s cost will
be insignificant compared to the cost of repairs that could result from the
use of E10. In addition, tanks of fuel last a long time in my historic
military vehicles and thus increases the risk of gasohol related problems,
so I have decided to keep a minimal amount of fuel in their tanks so that
the fuel is replenished frequently with new fuel and the
now-proven-effective anti-alcohol additives. The fuel additives worked in
the lab, so they should work in the tank.
Results:

E10 with no additives underwent phase separation with the addition of 0.30
ml water. In contrast, addition of either the Fuel Protection or Fuel
Stabilization formulas delayed phase separation until the addition of 0.50
and 0.49 ml of water, respectively. Finally, the addition of both the Fuel
Protection and Fuel Stabilization formulas to 50 ml E10 delayed phase
separation until 0.69 ml water was added.

Comments
    .    Steve Beurkens
Grand Rapids, Michigan

Great news. I have been using Stabil in my 1973 Triumph TR6 for the past 15
winters. The car is stored from mid-October until the snow/salt is
gone...usually the first week of April. I have NEVER had a starting problem
in the spring...1 turn of the key and away we go! I have great faith in fuel
stabilizers, so it's nice to know that faith is scientifically founded!

    .    Paul Aruda
Cedar Hill TX.

I use a product called Sea Foam and it has worked very will in my cars. I
put it in every 3-4000 miles. Ethanol is not a good product for any of our
cars. It may help the farmer but not our cars. Paul Aruda

    .    landis aden
mesa, az

How about high temps like here in AZ? any studies done on that? Also, folks
have claimed that marvel mystery oil can do much the same any research on
that thx

    .    Brian R Adams
Reno, NV

It seems likely the two products are largely the same, and all you did was
double up the dosage. Presumably this will do no harm. Why didn't you run
the same experiment using only a double-dose of either one of the products
to prove they are equivalent? Why couldn't someone set up a sort of settling
still, where on could add water to E10 until phase separation occurs, then
drain the ethanol/water out the bottom, leaving 99+% gasoline behind?

    .    Alex
Seattle, WA

Better than additives, why not get ethanol free gasoline? pure-gas.org is a
website that list stations selling ethanol free gas

    .    Rocky Faulconer
Yakima, WA 98902

There are so many fuel stabilization additives out on the market from
sta-bil Eastwood, and many more. Eastwood is a mail order thing for us and
freight is costly - and just remembering to order it is hard. Does Benjamin
have a suggestion for a fuel stabilizer that is more common and easyer to
get at the local part store? like sta-bil Rocky

    .    Todd
VA

Good article!

    .    Ron Maurer
Iowa

I run an auto repair shop and occasionally I see older cars that have been
stored for years and won¹t run. I will end up with the carburetor apart &
cleaning & the fuel tank off and cleaning. I have found all the ones I have
seen with bad problems had Sta-Bil fuel preservative and E-10 fuel (90% of
the fuel sold in Iowa) and have been stored for several years. The tanks
look like they have a growth in them. I have seen Microbial growth in Diesel
fuel tanks and it may be somewhat similar but different. I had to throw some
tanks away. I had a Dodge with a plastic fuel tank that the brass float on
the gas gauge sender was ate away. Draw your own conclusions. I have been
storing my Grand Prix for the winter for 25 years and put it away with very
little fuel and NO additive and have never had a problem. When I drive it in
the summer I add only enough fuel that I think I will use for the day in
order to keep the fuel fresh. Ron Maurer ASE Master Tech

    .    bluen0te
Ct.

I'm wondering if the writer has any connection to Eastwood. I'd feel a lot
stronger about these results if a few more products such as Startron and
Staybil had been mentioned in the test.

    .    Roger Sitterly
Des Moines, Iowa

It would have been nice if he'd tested the combination of "fuel protection"
and "fuel stabilization" formulas against 10% gasohol with .3125 ml of "fuel
protection" in it and against 10% gasohol with .3125 ml of "fuel
stabilization" in it. If he found that doubling the quantity of just one
product in the gasohol delayed phase separation until 0.69 ml of water
content, that would be useful knowledge for those of us concerned about the
deleterious effects of using E10 fuel in our older vehicles. Has anyone done
any similar tests with other fuel stabilization products on the market (ie,
Stabil, which I use in my lawn mower over the winter and my snow blower
during the summer)?

    .    J.L. Hamilton
TEXAS

Wish the test had used some of the more readily available products like
Sta-Bil or Phazer. Eastwood products have to be ordered from the catalog or
internet to get them in most of the country.

    .    D Yaros
United States

For more info on the effects of E10 in collector cars, see the Nov 2011
issue of Car Collector Chronicles, found online at
http://www.scribd.com/people/view/7936333-dave

    .    Brian tremblay
British Columbia, Canada

I've seen the effects of ehanol gasolines on related fuel parts ie; rubber
lines, aluminium components but what about aluminium gas tanks that alot of
car builders are getting for their hobby these days?

    .    JR.
Greenwich NY.

How about testing "Sta-Bil" fuel additive? It is much more readily available
to the consumer as they can pick it up at any auto parts and hardware
stores. I also have a big jug on my shelf, have had no bad effects in the
past, and was wondering if it was due to this product. Thanks, JR.

    .    Bob Foster
Bishop, GA

All good information. There should have been a cost per tank or cost per
gallon for the use of the additives included in the report. I guess I could
go to Eastwood and do the cost analysis myself.

    .    Rudy Pyrek
Warren, Michigan

While I find this report most helpful, I can't stop thinking that a better
solution to would be to offer classic vehicle owners "real" 100% gasoline. I
know that in every state there are several stations that still have access
to this product. Ref. web-site (pure-gas.org). Not only would it eliminate
this problem, it would also increase mileage by nearly 50%. I know this is
true through my own records on my 2004 Buick Le Sabre with a 3800 v-6 engine
(Auto-trans.) My milage has dropped from: 31mpg hwy. to 25mpg. And 25mpg
city to 18mpg. Who's fooling who! Ethenol isn't making less dependant on
foreign oil, it's just made us increase our use. In the long run, foreign
oil and subsidized corn growing farmers get rich and we ,the consumers take
a bath again! I am sure that new technologies would increase milage in
gasoline engines to a point where foreign oil dependency would not be an
issue. Thank you for letting me vent.

    .    C J Davis
Central Michigan

After reading this article I would surmise that a good way to help save your
fuel tank would be to litterally run your vehicle out of fuel, prior to
putting it away for any extended period of time. [winter in the northern
areas].

    .    John Engfehr
Wyandotte

I'm a retired engineer who tested fuels and oils for many years. I could
write a book on the adverse effects of ethanol on engines. The real problem
is during combustion where it forms acid in the combustion chamber and
etches the bore and rings. It degrades oil as it gets wiped into the
crankcase and can lead to extreme wear throughout the engine. It was only
approved by automakers because it gave them fuel economy "credits" (CAFE
credits) with the EPA that allowed them to sell more high end vehicles
(profit). It is not safe to use in any engine in amounts over 15%. Oil
change intervals must be shortened from 5000 miles to 3000 or less with
ethanol use. There is big money pushing to hide the facts and ignore the
long term implications.

    .    David Allison
St Simons Island

There is a simpler way for those of us near marinas and ports.Marine gas is
offered at the marinas and in the last year or two several local gas
stations have installed "Marine pumps" I have used this gas in my historic
vehicles and can sleep soundly with no worries of H2o sneaking into my tanks
as this fuel is alchohol free. Check with the major fuel distributors in
your area to find this friendlier fuel in your area.

    .    S Mcnutt
indiana

Nice to see a correctly done scientific evaluation.

    .    Arlene Walker
Pasadena, Maryland

I have a 1982 Corvette which I rarely drive. I usually keep a full tank of
gas in it and occasionally use a fuel additive, so if I understand the
article correctly should I only leave a small amount of gas in the tank over
the winter? I was always told to fill the tank so condensation does not
form. Any advice?

    .    Eric White
Lapeer, MI

Very informative test. My question to Mr. Kellogg is, if the two additives
are chemically identical, why didn't he continue with his testing to
determine if doubling the dose of each additive on its own resulted in the
same increase of water retention as the combined effect revealed? Also, if
doubling the dose resulted in increased retention of water in E10, would
increasing the dosage continue to increase the effect? At what point would
increased dosage become ineffective?

    .    Ernie
Atl. Ga

An increase in the water content of fuel also decreases the effective octane
in the fuel, so, care should be taken on higher compression engines that are
close to the verge of octane requirements.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)