Re: [Chrysler300] Cheap tyres and shocks

Re: [Chrysler300] Cheap tyres and shocks

Add to that - I would prefer to buy "production" parts wherever possible
when they are a direct fit - that way if you have a failure or a problem
like some jerk damaging a part, you can get replacement parts - not like
having the only 4 NOS parts in the world or buying special limited
production items.

And as for tires, I find the production items whether they are Firestone
or Hankook or Khumo or Cooper, or even Toyo (China) to be higher quality
and more consistent with respect to balance issues as well as warranty
(in case you need it) to be superior to specialty tires such as Coker
and American Classic, regardless of price. And I don't have to pay
freight or deal with returns if I have balance issues. As for paying a
bit more, IF they were Michelins or if I believed they were higher
quality / more reliable at highway speeds,  I might not mind paying $100
more per tire.

On 11/18/2011 9:01 AM, Mark Souders wrote:

> Well, Henry, let me help you understand. This all depends on several
> factors. In my case, I bought "cheap" shocks because one evening while
> returning home from a cruise-in, the car quit running (fuel pump push
> rod issue). The lame jerk operating the wrecker pulled the car up on
> the roll-back by throwing the hook around a NOS shock, rendering it
> useless. I needed the car for a car show the following weekend. I
> didn't have the time to shop around and possibly argue with a 17
> year-old kid behind some counter, so I went to Auto Zone and bought
> shocks off the shelf. These Gabriels have been on the car for more
> than eight years with no problems. Now that I'm in a better situation
> financially, I can now afford to buy the more expensive KYB shocks.
> Problem is, new shocks are not on my priority list, so the Gabriels
> will stay on the car until a later date.
> Incidentally, new tires are at the top of my list, since my "new"
> tires were installed eight years ago, as well. And yes, those tires
> were "cheap" also, I bought them from Walmart for $68.00 each, on sale
> with a coupon.
> When you can't afford the best, you settle for second best. Then, at
> least, you can drive and enjoy the car.
> There is a huge diversity of people in this club, from all paths of
> life. Some are better off financially than others but we all suffer
> from the same disease - Love of 300's. We all do what we can to enjoy
> our cars no matter what our means.
> I am glad for you, and respect the fact that you can afford to spend
> $2000 for your tires, and I hope your day will never come that you are
> forced to drive an old Corolla.
>
> Best regards,
> Mark Souders
> 300H