Re: [Chrysler300] tire summary

Actually the white wall width was not an individual car issue - though
there were some unique configurations in the 70's and 80's with triple
whites and odd widths, but the Tire industry - as dictated mostly by the
new car stylists changed widths from time to time. Pretty much all cars
changed from wide to medium and later to about 2.5 inch width at same
time on OE tires - second lines generally followed a year or so later.
In 1962, they went from whitewalls extending to rim on inside to what
was called a "beautyline" whitewall that had a narrow (about 1 inch)
white separated from rim by a black area. Later they varied slightly -
generally trending to more narrow until 1971 dual white and then back to
narrow white and finally blackwall.

On 11/18/2011 11:08 AM, C Bilter wrote:

> Hi Tony,
>
> Actually, according to the club website, from 1957 through 1960 the letter
> cars all came with 2-1/2" to 2-11/16" whitewalls in a 9.00x14" tire. The
> wider white in '61 probably had to do with switching to the 8.00x15" tire.
> The question is valid, however, because in 1961 a 3+" whitewall was pretty
> wide for factory issue. The 1961 Imperials, for example, which came with
> 8.20x15" tires actually had a narrower whitewall of perhaps 2-1/2" or so.
> Perhaps it had something to do with availability of tires that could
> accommodate the high speed capabilities of the G.
>
> Carl Bilter
>
> _____
>
> From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:Chrysler300%40yahoogroups.com>