Re: [Chrysler300] re tires, etc for 300 cars

Re: [Chrysler300] re tires, etc for 300 cars

Chemical curing ???? vs Vulcanizing - I would like to know more if there
is any truth to chemical curing of tires????

Don't know about that - but all products regardless of how cured will
age - and the aging is a Chemical process which is aggravated by UV
light, ozone, and other factors including static load. And in general
the aging rate will accelerate with heat - all other things being equal
- at a rate of 2x for every 10 degrees C (18F).

Typical first effect of aging is hardening of rubber - which will affect
grip - particularly in wet conditions. It may also result in chunking
removal of tread in cornering - I have personal experience with this on
4 year old Continental (General) tires on a 2005 F250 and on 8 year old
trailer tires. The cracking most associate with aging is also a result
of hardening when rubber loses its elongation capability.

That does not mean old tires can't be used for low speed use and static
display - I have a pair of 1937 vintage Goodrich rear tractor tires with
plenty of cracks filled with silicone that are still holding air on a
1937 tractor.

Had a set of OE 1971 Goodyear Polyglas on my low miles 71 Charger 500
but they were parked static for 30 years or more and were severely
deteriorated - cracks around the bulge at bottom of tire - went thump
getting it out of where it was parked - had to be replaced to drive it.

As others have said, I would really hesitate from using a tire that is
10 or more years old at speed - even in the unlikely event that they
show no visible issues such as cracking. Damage to car from blowing a
tire can be significant even if you don't lose control.

On 11/20/2011 6:00 AM, christopher beilby wrote:

> I may have missed it, sorry if I did.
>
> Apart from cost of tires for 300s, other collector cars, I believe
> today there is a 2nd issue that did not exist when tires that may
> still be on our cars were made 10-30 years ago?
>
> I was told years ago, all tires were vulcanised, made/cured if you
> like, by heat from steam - likely by passing them thru some steam heat
> process?
> But then, some manufacturers, or maybe many/most - who knows?!! - went
> to a chemical curing/making process, as it cheaper.
> And here is where I get more vague, questioning, of those who know
> more - I am told that from the day they made, these chemical cured
> tires start to self destruct, and that why some tire brands have time
> warranties, in some cases maybe only 4-5 years, despite they
> recognised good brands??!!
>
> Amongst the later posts current on this topic I saw I think that
> Cooper warranties it's tires near forever timewise - so obviously they
> are not using self destruct chemical curing?! But against this, I
> learn in US motorcycle tires are illegal for use if over I think 6
> years old - and date stamp checked?
>
> Does anybody know anything more certain than my maybe misdirected
> beliefs/knowledge - what tires today are chemically cured, what
> manufacturers still make tires like maybe Cooper do, that last, have
> warranties, until worn out?!
>
> I recently have bought 3 sets of wide white radials, and I will never
> wear them out soon, but if they going to become dangerous because of
> chemical self destruction after say 5/6 years, this another thing to
> factor in if outlaying $1,200?!
> Anyone add anything real certain, or if not, can someone in US maybe
> contact Coopers and ask what gives, who does what, is 'chemical curing
> self destruction' an old wives tale??!
>
> Christopher in Australia
>

> > CC: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:Chrysler300%40yahoogroups.com>
> > To: crc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:crc%40cyberlink.bc.ca>
> > From: mmoore8425@xxxxxxx <mailto:mmoore8425%40aol.com>
> > Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 06:39:42 -0800
> > Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] re tires, etc for 300 cars
> >
> > Fern, here is my dilemma:
> > Over 50 years, I have acquired and kept three collector cars. Two
> were family cars I just wouldn't part with.
> >
> > My 1963 E Type Jaguar has Dunlop Supersport tires on it, which I
> paid $1200 for. They are wonderful tires for that car. They have
> 10,000 miles on them but are 10 years old.
> >
> > My TR3 HAD a set of top Michelin tires, for which I paid $1000 for.
> They were 12 years old with maybe 5,000 miles on them when I sold them.
> >
> > My 300H tires, replaced with Am Classic last summer were like new,
> but I bought them in 1982.
> >
> > In other words, tires on our collector cars "age-out" long before
> they wear out.
> >
> > I chose to buy a set of Vredstein tires for $100 ea for my TR3, and
> they work great. I think the Michelins were better tires, but if I'm
> [...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)