Re: [Chrysler300] Water + Oil = Doomed!

  Matt,

  I would suggest some caution here. First, driving would not be advisable.

  There is an oil cooler in the radiator for the transmission. This should be checked carefully. Is there evidence of coolant in the transmission? Oil in the coolant before radiator was reworked? Transmission oil pressure is generally higher than coolant pressure.

  Coolant leaking into the combustion chamber(s). This should be evident on a plug reading. Compression check as you have done is not conclusive.

  Is there white smoke? On initial start? After running and a hot restart?Hydraulic lock from coolant in the cylinders? This case, engine might still crank but there is usually an excessive amount of coolant out the tail pipe.

  Further checking for coolant in the combustion chambers, assuming there is no evidence of coolant on  the plugs. Fill and pressurize the cooling system with the engine cold. This will require a relatively inexpensive tool. I bought my Stant tool  40+ years ago and it was and is an extremely useful tool. Let the car sit pressurized while removing all plugs. Crank the engine with the distributor side of the ignition coil grounded. Coolant out of the plug holes?

  Same test, engine warmed up.

  If the radiator fix was too late, there could be a cracked block or cylinder head situation which will require extensive rework. One engine overheat is bad BTW.

  Warren Anderson
  Sedona,AZ

  I have been losing water from ye old radiator for awhile now. Pulled it and had it gone through and it was still disappearing. I expected the worst and now I have realized the worst.

  I pulled the dipstick out and lo and behold it is that lovely milky white shade of oil and water. So now I have to pull the heads and see if the crack stops there...or if I have to also pull the block. Drag!

  Question.....Can I drive it at all now or will I do great and further damage?

  Hey Thanks!

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: