Re: [Chrysler300] Garage Plans

  Group,

  The masonry walls of my shop at home and the professional  8 bay shop I have here in Sedona are not insulated. The ceilings are. The 50' free span width is a truss construction with R-30 insulation. With insulation on the 10X12 doors the task of heating is no where near what it was in the rented Butler steel building we leased for 8 years.

  Steel buildings can be put up in short order and it can well be a do it yourself job also. Masonry, either tilt up or CMU block, requires talented specialty people generally.  But, there are some advantages of the masonry approach. The one I like is that I have walls. A steel building will have exposed insulation on the inside walls and if you need a finished inside surface, you will need stud walls and a lining in order to hang stuff.

  Times change, but when we built our shop the empty concrete block building was no more basic cost than a steel building and we would need only paint on the inside not a whole new inside structure.

  I worked for a short time for the parent company that makes Bearing Buddies. The owners had steel insulated buildings. Nothing was allowed within so many feet of any wall inside those buildings with penalty of dismissal if the rule was violated. Other than the no fly zone annoyance, the buildings did work well in relatively mild San Marcos, CA invironment. Not properly insulated and they will sweat.

  We need solar heat for the north side entrance. Big mistake that I ignored this problem. I am from SoCal. The slab will ice over this time of year and is a maintenance headache.

  The intense Arizona sun makes west facing shop doors very unpleasant all year long actually but especially in the summer. Mine are north south. work outside on north side in the summer and outside on the south side in the winter.

  I put sections of 4" pipe in the floor on the centerline of each service bay even though my service bays are drive through. There is a suitable length of 1/2" chain secured to the pipe that is tied into the slab for pulling purposes.  Body shops have in floor tie downs and there are commercial fancy pieces available. A small electric winch and anything can be sucked into the shop with low man power. .

  Warren Anderson
  Sedona,AZ

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional