[Chrysler300] 1956 300B, Power Steering Questions, Help Needed

[Chrysler300] 1956 300B, Power Steering Questions, Help Needed

Hi all:

Years ago, I had a problem of my wheels not returning to neutral on my  F.
As Mike did, I raised the front wheels off the ground and loosened the
bolts to enable moving of the slider.  Started the engine and moved the  slider
back and forth until the wheels attained a neutral position.  I saw  no
need to loosen, start, slide, tighten, etc., etc.

Prior to this, I had bias ply tires on the car which I had purchased from
some supplier in Tennessee, I believe.  The car was all over the  road.
Later changed to radials and eliminated some of the weaving.   When I adjusted
the steering box, all was copacetic.  Now even on the  roughest of roads,
the F steers like a champ, returns to neutral and no  weaving.  I replace all
tires at 5 years if the car has been driven  frequently.  About 7 years ago,
I replaced all tires on my '66 300 vert.  and presently have a grand total
of 10 miles on them.  When I get it out of  the garage for moving to our new
home and 6 car garage, I will replace all the  tires.  Worse yet, my '56
Dodge has tires installed in 1985!!  Haven't  driven it much since 1987.
Seems like a waste.

Dan Reitz
Northridge, CA