Re: [Chrysler300] 1956 300B, Power Steering Questions, Help Needed

Re: [Chrysler300] 1956 300B, Power Steering Questions, Help Needed

On my 62 steering box, there is a control valve on top. You can break an arm adjusting it if you are not careful.
Here's how I was told to do it, and I did it this way:
1. Front wheels off ground.
2. At all times, stay clear of the steering wheel as it will snap violently when you start the engine.
Without touching the steering wheel, start the engine. If the wheels are straight ahead, and the valve is misadjusted, the steering wheel will whip rapidly to wherever the control valve is set. Stay clear! Turn engine off.
3. There are (I think) two bolts  holding the control valve down. Loosen them enough that you can slide the valve a tiny amount. Note which way you slid it. Standing clear of steering wheel, start engine and see where steering wheel turns.
4. In my case, I had to remove the valve cover to replace the gasket which was leaking. Chrysler used to sell a kit for that.
It's a repetitive process ( at least for me) but not hard to do. It's rewarding when you get it right, but do stand clear of the steering wheel when you start the engine each time.
Mike Moore
300H

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional