RE: [Chrysler300] Tires - Speed Rating and Performance Driving on Wide W

RE: [Chrysler300] Tires - Speed Rating and Performance Driving on Wide Whitewalls

Warren and All:

1)     I changed the subject line to "Tires" rather than "300F" as we're
talking tires in general

2)     Subject has been addressed at length in past posts and I agree about
risks with old tires of any type (over 10 yr old)

3)     New information perhaps:

a.      Performance driving - Diamondback wide whites are high quality
radial tires such as Michelin, Cooper etc. to which a wide whitewall has
been permanently vulcanized to the tire.  Some of these tires are
performance tires with high speed ratings.  One can drive them hard if one
desires, and they will be as safe as the corresponding blackwall that they
started out life as.

b.      Some other radial wide whitewalls have speed ratings.  American
Classics are S rated (112mph).  Personally, I would not drive anywhere near
that fast on American Classics or Diamondbacks but that has more to do speed
limits, the fact that the tires are very expensive, and in deference to 50+
year old rare cars (like 300s).

c.      I doubt that bias ply tires are speed rated but I wouldn't buy them
anyway unless I had absolutely no other choice for a proper fitting tire

Carl Bilter

  _____