RE: [Chrysler300] Question About Dual Master Cylinder Conversion with Re

RE: [Chrysler300] Question About Dual Master Cylinder Conversion with Remote Booster?

I'm not yet fully qualified to lecture on my ram-engined 300K convertible,
but can offer the following for those even less informed than I:

With the shortened wheelbase of Chrysler 300's in 1962, there was no longer
room for a firewall mounted power brake booster and master cylinder if the
car had a cross-ram engine.  In 1962, the 300H engine had an inline dual
quad inlet manifold.  In 1963 and 1964, Chrysler again offered the short-ram
engines and mounted a non-power brake master cylinder (without the booster
or outlet check valve) on the firewall and connected it to a second
(slave)master cylinder equipped with a booster and mounted in the left front
wheel well.  The outlet of the second master cylinder is a single line going
to the usual distribution block and providing vacuum-boosted hydraulic
pressure equally to all four cylinders.  The booster has a little air filter
on its atmospheric air side and is connected to the intake manifold to tap
engine vacuum with a little check valve.  This really looks hinky, but it
works and I understand it is a rather routine installation on older heavy
trucks.

One of the main issues discussed at length lately is how to plumb a disc
brake conversion on a '63-'64 Chrysler 300.  There is little likelihood of
finding or retrofitting a hydraulically-actuated dual master cylinder to the
remote booster.  A single line system could probably be plumbed from the
outlet of the boosted MC that would enable a restrictor/proportional valve
to reduce pressure to the rear brakes and prevent premature lockup.

By 1965, the ram engines were history and complete power brake units were
returned to the firewall with dual outlet master cylinders.

Additions/corrections welcomed.

Rich Barber