Re: [Chrysler300] Question About Dual Master Cylinder Conversion with Re

Re: [Chrysler300] Question About Dual Master Cylinder Conversion with Remote Booster?

Great recap Professor Rich! While it seems that a dual master cylinder solution for Ram J/K cars is something of a unicorn, a well-respected professional who subscribes to this list "may" have a viable solution in the works. Should more info on this point emerge it will surely be shared with the group. For now, it's a single master cylinder reality for those who live in a Ram J/K world. (And that ain't so bad!)

Keep the brake fluid topped off and the shiny side up!

300KL'y,

David A. Morrison
Radnor, PA

Sent via mobile

On May 31, 2012, at 8:48 PM, "Rich Barber-Desktop" <c300@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I’m not yet fully qualified to lecture on my ram-engined 300K convertible, but can offer the following for those even less informed than I:
>
> With the shortened wheelbase of Chrysler 300’s in 1962, there was no longer room for a firewall mounted power brake booster and master cylinder if the car had a cross-ram engine.  In 1962, the 300H engine had an inline dual quad inlet manifold.  In 1963 and 1964, Chrysler again offered the short-ram engines and mounted a non-power brake master cylinder (without the booster or outlet check valve) on the firewall and connected it to a second (slave)master cylinder equipped with a booster and mounted in the left front wheel well.  The outlet of the second master cylinder is a single line going to the usual distribution block and providing vacuum-boosted hydraulic pressure equally to all four cylinders.  The booster has a little air filter on its atmospheric air side and is connected to the intake manifold to tap engine vacuum with a little check valve.  This really looks hinky, but it works and I understand it is a rather routine installation on older heavy trucks.
>
> One of the main issues discussed at length lately is how to plumb a disc brake conversion on a ’63-’64 Chrysler 300.  There is little likelihood of finding or retrofitting a hydraulically-actuated dual master cylinder to the remote booster.  A single line system could probably be plumbed from the outlet of the boosted MC that would enable a restrictor/proportional valve to reduce pressure to the rear brakes and prevent premature lockup.
>
> By 1965, the ram engines were history and complete power brake units were returned to the firewall with dual outlet master cylinders.
>
> Additions/corrections welcomed.
>
> Rich Barber

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional