Re: SV: [Chrysler300] A serious 55 Kelsey Hayes issue - brake failure

Even though I haven't had a [problem with my master cylinder on my 55 Chrysler,  I have wondered rather I should replace the 55 with a 56 Power brake setup.

                                                                                                 Gary Barker
From: mgoodknight@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, August 19, 2012 2:21 PM
To: narve.n@xxxxxxx
Cc: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: SV: [Chrysler300] A serious 55 Kelsey Hayes issue - brake failure

I have been unable to find any information to support a comment that some parts were changed within the one year of the power brake unit for 1955. That unit is; however, unique in that the master cylinder portion and the booster portion share some critical components. You can remove the cast iron cylinder part from the booster, but you will leave behind the part called "piston and sleeve" which has sealing components that are a primary part of the master cylinder. In order to completely recondition (or replace) the master cylinder the booster must be disassembled to replace piston and sleeve or its seals.
The bottom line is that you cannot recondition or replace either the master cylinder or the booster without reconditioning or replacing both of them. They are a unit----makes it usually expensive and a little more difficult to work on.

Marshall Goodknight
c300 3n552650 with "one year only" brake system still working

Please note: message attached