[Chrysler300] Re: Fony "F??"

We also attended the Auburn sale, and along with Noel looked over the 300F
HT.   I am not prepared to say it is a phony, but it does qualify as one of
the worst "restored" examples out in the weeds.   All of the details
reported about its wrong parts and incorrect items should bring pause to
anyone considering it.  I hope they take a good look to be sure they are
getting what they expect.   Several of the other "fin cars" are owned by
this same owner, and none presently well, most did not sell.    We purchased
the 59 Plymouth Fury cvt. which needs everything, but was at a price we were
willing to pay.  Since we will eventually restore the car anyway, we didn't
care about the lousy paint.

As a group these cars should not be considered representative of the overall
collector market, as they were just plan shabby.   We checked the ID numbers
and all cars appear to be carrying correct ID tags, although some were
missing the data plates (likely removed during the sloppy restoration/paint
job and not put back).

We also learned a little more of the story from the RM people.  The owner of
all these vehicles lives in Europe and the cars have been stored for a long
time in the USA.   It appears to us that that they were given a very hasty
(=poor) smoke jobs, including, lousy paint job without removing the trim, to
try to shine them up.   In the case of the F we could find very few places
that a magnet would not fall off, so draw your own conclusion.   The cars
(Plym.,Dodge, DeSoto, and 300) look like older barn finds that somebody
though throwing a little paint at would increase the sales price.  They were
wrong!

Although I am not willing to say at this time that the F is not genuine, I
am willing to say it is a #4 or worse with a lot of wrong parts.   Caveat
Emptor indeed.    bob brown

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: