Re: [Chrysler300] Powder Coat rams

I finally found something I know enough about to comment on!

I have a cheap but effective home powder coating gun and have done enough parts & research to have learned the following:

One common misconception regarding powder coating is that it's all the same chemical composition. But just as there are many different kinds of liquid paints (oil-based, enamels, urethanes, polyurethanes, etc.) so in powder coating there are many different chemical compositions. Some are polyester, epoxy, hybrid (some combo of polyester & epoxy), etc. Each different kind has it's own chemical properties. Some cure at lower or higher temperatures and/or withstand heat better. Some will withstand exposure to gasoline while others will quickly deteriorate. Some are very vulnerable to degradation by UV exposure, while others are not. If you just go ask somebody to powder coat your car parts, it's no telling what you'll get, unless you ask specifically for a particular kind of coating. I have a couple of high temp coatings I use on manifolds, but I wouldn't use them on parts exposed to the sun. Similarly, parts on the undercarriage might be fine for UV-sensitive coatings that are more resistant to chipping or oil & gas exposure. Incidentally, toughness & resistance to chipping is frequently touted as a benefit of powder coating, but that's really a function of the chemical composition as well. Some are more hardy than others. And it's really a poor assumption to think that just because it's a car part, the coater should know what kind of coating is best to put on it. You might coat a car differently that's going to be garaged the rest of it's life versus one that's going to be outdoors. Why would you assume the coater will know how much you intend to expose a particular part to heat or chemicals like gas, oil, and brake fluid?

Like liquid paints, powder coating can be applied in various thicknesses. You can block off or cover sensitive threads or holes that have to maintain their dimensions. But that's prep work and you'd need to discuss that with you're coater if you're not doing it yourself to see whether they can protect the dimensions efficiently & effectively or not. If you did it yourself you might be able to be a little more careful than somebody trying to get a lot done in a hurry. As with liquid coating, the importance of good prep work can't be over-estimated.

As for removal, I've never met a powder coating that doesn't remove with the traditional methods, i.e., with chemical paint remover, sand-blasting, or scraping & sanding. Of course, that doesn't mean they don't exist. See above. Again, it's a function of the chemical composition. Powder coating more accurately describes the application method, NOT the chemical properties of the coating you're applying. Some kinds of powder coating might be more resistant to a particular removal method than others. But many of even the toughest ones will remove with a good paint stripper.

Powder coating hates impurities on the pre-coated surface. As it's baked on, it forms a liquid shell, which will bubble quite enthusiastically if there's something underneath that will convert to a gas at baking temperature. Ask me how I know. So your parts have to be scrupulously clean. That can be really hard to accomplish with parts that are porous or have hidden crevices filled with decades of grease. I've even incorporated my own fingerprints into translucent coatings. I guess that's one way to personalize your ride!

I once tried to powder coat a whole engine block. Didn't work, but not for a reason I expected. I used a massive oven large enough to contain the whole block The coating I was using was supposed to be held at 400° for 20 minutes after the powder flowed as a liquid. That part worked fine. But the block didn't cool down right after the 20 minutes were up. The thermal mass was enough that it kept on baking the coating until it destroyed the integrity of it. I didn't have the wherewithal to experiment around until I discovered just the right balance of heat and post-baking cooling.

On the other hand, I've since discovered that some urethane car body paints make great under hood paints even for engine blocks and are a lot easier to apply. Powder coating isn't an ultimate fix-all solution. Powder coating is a great "weapon" in the arsenal of the savvy restorer, but, like many things, it pays if you learn to wield it with a little wisdom & knowledge.

Thomas DeBusk

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: