Re: [Chrysler300] Medallion adhesive for pot metal scripts??

On 3/14/2013 12:12 AM, Rich Barber wrote:

> OK, now I’d like to ask some specific questions regarding mounting
> the chromed pot metal  “Chrysler” script as found on the front
> fenders of ’63 and ’64 Chrysler 300’s.  One of mine is has very nice
> chrome but only one remaining mounting pin on the back.  The design
> calls for attaching by affixing little hardened sheet metal speed
> nuts onto the pins from the backside.  My cars actually have the
> little hollow compression barrel inserts in the four holes in the
> fender, probably to ease installation.  Apparently this leads to
> breaking off the cast-in mounting pins on the back of the script.

> I’ve bought some hardware and plan to experiment with mounting some
> tiny #4-40 machine screws into tapped holes in the pot metal to
> recreate the cast-in pins, but I’m not sure there is enough “meat” in
> the body of the script to allow for a drilled and tapped hole in the
> backside of the script.  Anyone ever try that?

> I read about using an adhesive for emblems and medallions.  Can the
> silicone sealant be counted on to hold the heavy and thin metal
> “Chrysler” script , especially with only one pin available?  Should I
> run a continuous bead or just a couple of dabs here and there?  What
> is the effect on new clearcoat paint?  Will heat and sunlight
> eventually (5-10 years) break down the silicone?

> BTW, it appears these “Chrysler” scripts are unique to the 300 letter
> and sport series.  Newports and New Yorkers don’t seem to have them.
> Anyone having a nicely finished script with all or most pins intact
> can solve my dilemma if they are willing to part with this pretty
> little bit of bling-bling.

> Rich Barber

When my youngest boy wanted to embellish his 1970 Newport with extra
emblems we used "GOOP" show glue, it looks sillycone type based.
We smeared it all over the back of the emblem (metal) that he bought and
once it cured, about 24 hours we easily trimmed off the excess with an
exacto knife.  It was still on the car when he sold it years later.

Its the same stuff we smeared all over his windshield washer bottle,
that wasn't being reproduced, that was cracking all over, used a tube
just painting it on. that worked out REAL well! Sealed it and held the
broken pieces in place so it could still be used.

--
Paul Holmgren
Mine: 2 57 300-C's in Indy

<*> Your email settings: