Re: [Chrysler300] Member with an overheating problem with his K

Re: [Chrysler300] Member with an overheating problem with his K

Member Ray Melton emailed me with similar information to this note on
Hayden clutches from Don Nissen. The challenge to finding one in the
Hayden catalog that will work is that Chryslers were engineered with
unusually short coupling between the water pump and the radiator core.
My reply to Ray follows:

The '86-'94 Jaguar thermal clutch is the base unit I started with when I made some proper ones up.  You will need to buy a sleeve for the pilot as it is too large to center it properly, and then you need to machine off part of the front fins at an angle.  If you don't, you'll have to remove either the clutch or the radiator every time you need to change a belt.  There's not enough clearance between the clutch and radiator otherwise.

So that's what I put together as a package, along with the blade and clutch mounting bolts and shipping cost.  I'd be happy if everyone just wants to deal with it all themselves, but some would rather buy it ready to hang on.  Well, we'll see what the response is.

Thanks.
Keith

On 3/27/2013 2:04 PM, Donald Nissen wrote:

> I had a running hot (but not quite overheating) problem with my 300K
> with Air last summer. Solved with a new fan clutch. I don't know about
> the non-air cars, but many Hayden Fans are the same as used on our
> cars, and are still available. Hayden has a great online pdf page that
> lists all the clutches & specs especially the critical sizes.Both
> Thermal & non-thermal are listed. The link is:
> http://www.haydenauto.com/upload/haydenauto/documents/cat_hayden/2007-hayden-fan-clutch.pdf
>
> By measuring your existing fan mount & poking around in the specs its
> possible to find a match. They are available fairly cheap
>
> at local auto prts stores if you have the Hayden # Mine cost about $45
> as I recall. Don't know how this might help Chuck since no computer,
> but maybe he has a friend with one that could print it out. Its
> several pages PDF.
>
> Hope that helps-- Don Nissen 300K

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional