[Chrysler300] Oppressive August Heat Wave Seizes Mountain Lake!

[Chrysler300] Oppressive August Heat Wave Seizes Mountain Lake!

Dear friends,

Gloria tells me there's a recurring theme in Fall meet inquiries. Apparently there's concern about how hot it will be here in the "Deep South" in August and whether we have sufficient fans & A/C to maintain humanly habitable conditions. If you're picturing Blanche Dubois dripping through sweltering sets in "A Streetcar Named Desire", then you might want to consider the following:

There's a biological monitoring station just a skip & a jump down the road from our host hotel. It goes by the catchy name "Mountain Lake Biological Monitoring Station" & automatically logs fascinating weather data several times a day. If you're persistent & creative enough, you can look it up online. Unfortunately, the temperature data is specially encrypted in a special code called "celsius", but my super decoder iPhone converted it to normal-speak fahrenheit for me.

I looked up day 233, which is August 21 (the first day of our meet) in each of the years 2007-2012. Assuming my iPhone didn't go all Android on me in the conversion process, the highs and lows were as follows:

Year	High	Low
2012	68		54
2011	74		62
2010	73		63
2009	72		63
2008	74		59
2007	80		66

This is not a global cooling hoax. Looking at these numbers, I'm sorta wondering if maybe I should've looked for a warmer venue. Perhaps you should bring light jackets to handle the cool evening temps, especially if you want to cruise around at night with the top down or no "B" pillar showing on those hardtops. The main reason why these temps are this low this far south is that Mountain Lake is at 4000 feet. The rest of the lay of the land we'll be playing around on is around 2000 feet & appropriately warmer. Your mileage (and temps) will vary with the altitude. And if it really is too hot for you, Mountain Lake, Claytor Lake, the New River, and/or The Cascades' stream will cool you off in a really big hurry.

Really, I welcome all inquiries about the upcoming meet. Registrations have been ticking along at a satisfying rate. I'm confident that the attendees will have a wonderful time. My dread fear as the event host is that 10 people will finally decide they want to attend right after we've filled the reserved rooms, or 2 weeks after we release the remaining unreserved rooms, and at that time there won't be any more available. I'm committed to making this an incredibly hospitable & enjoyable event, but I can't do much for anybody who gets "left out in the cold" because they tried to jump on board too late. Unless you bring a tent & bear repellant.

Thomas DeBusk

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: