Re: [Chrysler300] Gasoline overflow issue

Re: [Chrysler300] Gasoline overflow issue

Hello Ken and all,

The newer cars have a device that will shut off
the gas from spilling out in a crash or roll over
event built into the fill neck. This is not found
on the older models which just allow for free
flow into the tank at any time. The Auto Shut Off
function of the pump handle may not work all the
time on the older cars allowing for a back splash
when full (Helps to stand off to the side to
avoid getting splashed on). If necessary this
will also make emptying the tank with a siphon
tube or such much more difficult or impossible. I
have found the same problem on my old "K" car,
and have used the same method to determine when
the tank is nearly full. Another trick is to
monitor the fuel gauge visually to see when the
tank is nearly full and stop at that point. A
check with my main source of information also
indicated that some of the newest cars have done
away with this flapper or check valve.

John Holst Iowa 300K (local car show tonight weather permitting)...

At 08:07 AM 7/5/2013, you wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>This is a crazy thing I can't figure either a
>cause or a solution for. When I fill the gas
>tank on my C the automatic nozzle shutoff on the
>pump will not shut off. The problem is absolute
>and has happened at enough different stations
>that I know the problem has to be my car and not the pump.
>
>The only way I have found to control it is to
>literally put my ear to the flow and listen for
>the gas as it loads up the filler tube. Am I
>alone with this problem? BTW, the problem has
>remained even after switching from one new tank to another new one.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Keith Boonstra

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional