[Chrysler300] KYB rear shock leakage issue update

Further to my previous comments on this issue:  I haven’t received any more reports yet of this issue; so perhaps it is somewhat isolated in nature.  However, be aware of the following:  The KYB warranty specifies that the warranty does not apply if the shocks are installed on a non-catalogued application.  And our 300s, Chryslers 1955-64 and Imperials 1955-66 are NOT listed as a cataloged application for the KG5511 rear shocks even though they fit without modification.  Only certain Dodge and Plymouth models are listed.  Consequently, Rock Auto cannot provide me with replacement shocks and I am out the $$.   So if you order them for a ‘57-‘61 Plymouth Fury, for example, you are covered because it is catalogued.

Carl Bilter

From: C Bilter
Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2013 11:14 AM
To: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ; jim_mikolajczyk
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Re: KYB rear shock leakage issue

I’ve had a couple fellas respond so far that they’ve had the same problem with KYBs on the rear.  All cases including mine have have recent installations, which makes me wonder if the quality of the seals has gone downhill.  I can’t imagine this has been a big problem historically or we would have seen many posts to this effect on the listserver.  Some models of our cars have rear wheel wells that require us to have the rear end fully dangle just to remove tires/wheels or service rear brakes.  We can’t always have a jack under the diff to keep the hind end up enough to prevent this problem.. I think we should reconsider our recommendations for KYBs on the rear given their shorter than stock stroke, but I realize Monroe and Gabriel alternatives are not as good for our heavy cars.

Carl B