RE: [Chrysler300] Wheel covers (hubcaps) wire wheels

RE: [Chrysler300] Wheel covers (hubcaps) wire wheels

Narve:

Are you still driving your C-300, or have you parked it for the long winter?

The retaining springs of the reproduction caps don?t always engage the
inside lip of the wheel hub tight enough to prevent clanking.  A design or
production deficiency, I believe.  They are still difficult to pop off, but
fit loosely.  I stuck a ¼? wide strip of foam weatherstrip completely around
the undersides of the caps and solved the problem.  I had to crush the
little strips to get the caps on, so a little bit goes a long way.   All of
my repro caps needed it and the fix is invisible. The weather stripping has
a self-adhesive side after peeling off a paper cover.

Our 1955 C-300 has Motor Wheel & Rim brand, 48-spoke, 15? x 5.5? wire-spoke
wheels & reproduction caps (with thin chrome).  The wheels had been restored
by a previous owner and stainless steel spokes installed.  I?ve had to
replace one broken spoke.  The car still has a wonderful old set of
Remington L78x15 bias-ply tires with 3? WSW on it.  Low miles, no cracks,
supple tread.  Someday, I?ll pony up the bread for a set of radials (or wish
I had) as the tires must be nearly 25 years old.

C-300?ly,

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA

1955 C-300 # 3N551198-