Re: [Chrysler300] Whoa, Nelly - additional clarification

Re: [Chrysler300] Whoa, Nelly - additional clarification

I think a little clarification is needed here regarding the standard versus heavy duty brakes, at least as they relate to the 1964 Chrysler.

Standard Brakes -->  11" x 3" front & 11" x 2 1/2 " rear
Heavy Duty Brakes -->  11" x 3" front & rear

Standard Brakes were standard equipment on Newport, 300, 300-K (see note below), and New Yorker
Heavy Duty Brakes were optional on 300 & 300-K, and included in the 300-K Special Package (with ram engine).  I cannot speak about wagons.

Primary Shoe --> brake shoe installed on the side of the axle closest to the front of the car
Secondary Shoe --> brake shoe installed on the side of the axle closest to the rear of the car

OEM brake linings used in the Standard Brakes were 9-1/4' long on the primary shoe front and rear (3 black marks) and 12-1/8 ' long on the secondary shoe front and rear (2 black and 1 white mark)
OEM brake linings used in the Heavy Duty Brakes were 12-1/8 ' long on the primary shoe front and rear (1 black and 1 orange mark) and 12-1/8 ' long on the secondary shoe front and rear (2 red marks)

Since the Standard Brake lining lengths were more abundant, after market brake lining manufacturers chose to produce these style of linings and no longer offer the Heavy Duty Brake lining option.  35 years ago, when I ordered brake linings at the local parts store, the only option I was given for linings was either 2-1/2" rears or 3' rears.  Today, if I try to buy brake linings, they no longer ask the width of the rear shoes and identify rears as 2-1-2' by default.  So if you are buying new brake linings for your Heavy Duty Brake equipped Chrysler today, it is best to order two front sets to avoid confusing the kid behind the parts counter.  There is really no difference between the brake shoes available for the 1964 Chrysler today, so trying to order them by a specific model designation will only confuse that kid behind the counter even more.  If they do insist on a model designation, just say 300 and be done.

One thing that many of you might not be aware of, is that the standard Bendix brake shoe (metal portion) is universal fit, meaning that one can install any similar diameter shoe in any position (primary or secondary position) on any axle.  This is how Rich found 2-1/2' shoes installed inside the 3' drums of his convertible, and how, I too, found 2-1/2' shoes installed inside the 3' rear drums of my silver K hardtop.  Whoever installed these shoes in both cases didn't know there was a difference in width and just installed the rear shoes the parts store gave them.  Now if one wants to duplicate the OEM lining sizes on their Heavy Duty Brake equipped car, you can simply order four sets of front brake linings and install the eight long lining shoes all the way around.  That is something I have thought about, but have never done.

Now, on the subject of frictional force, it was my understanding from engineering school that frictional force, as it relates to brakes and tires, is a uniform force PER UNIT AREA, meaning that the greater the frictional area, the greater the total  frictional force.

That's my "two cents" for what its worth.  Additional comments welcome.

Chris the K MANIAC