From: Rich Barber <c300@xxxxxxx>
To: 'Don Verity' <d.verity@xxxxxxx>; mmoore8425 <mmoore8425@xxxxxxx>; kmaniak <kmaniak@xxxxxxx>; 'John Grady' <jkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Chrysler300 <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Fri, Jan 31, 2014 10:54 am
Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] Manifolds and carbs

In a final effort to disseminate information today, I’d add these notes on the ram J-K intake manifold heat issue.  Just to describe the flow pattern of the hot exhaust gas used to heat the manifolds under the carbs.  There is, of course, a baffle plate under the four holes that admit the fuel-air charge from the carburetors into the two single cross section passages of each intake manifold (and, the smaller equalizer tube connecting these chambers on each side).  The lower section of each chamber has two down-facing flange-like surfaces, drilled and tapped for two bolts each.  In order to achieve flow of hot exhaust gas into one of these ports and out the other, connections are made with flanged-end steel tubes to similarly-flanged ports at, apparently, high-pressure and low pressure areas of the huge cast iron exhaust manifolds.  I’d expect that side flow to vary somewhat with volumetric flow of exhaust gas in the manifold, but the system seems to provide plenty of heat—uncontrollable and maybe sometimes just right or too much. Some of the heat would be expected to flow upward through the chamber tops and into the carbs.  The whole idea is to vaporize the liquid fuel coming in through the carb jets before it hits the combustion chamber and before the plug fires.  Although rather simple, the concept is brilliant and seems to work—probably quicker and hotter than heating the manifold with engine coolant.

My first car, a ’40 Ford, had a similar system for heating the passenger compartment.  A fan blew cold air across a finned section of the exhaust pipe and the heated air was then re-introduced into the passenger compartment and to the windshield defroster system.  It seemed to work well, but any exhaust leak in the system would introduce CO into the passenger compartment.  And, there was no temperature control.  In 1938-39, Nash invented and patented certain features of their Weather–Eye heater system that used hot coolant to heat outside air for the heater & defroster.  I always heard that Nash then licensed their heaters to the Big Three or traded the rights for something they needed that was patented by the Big Three..  See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_Eye

Th-th-that’s all folks,
C300K’ly,
Rich Barber
The “Other” Brentwood, CA (OJ and the Governator never even visited here—ornamental trees in full bloom)