[Chrysler300] RE: Sender/gas tank pickup

[Chrysler300] RE: Sender/gas tank pickup

Hi, J-Y,

Decided to send this exchange to list server, lots of hard earned info about
gas gauge in this, might help others. "More than you ever wanted to know
about gas gauges" ; taking tank in and out gets ,er, boring, fast..and
messy.

By being sure when float is down in bottom of tank you have 70-75 ohms and
10 to 15 ohms when up (up , or F accuracy, less important than 70 down,
which is the E reading accuracy value ) Then you know tank and float etc are
all perfect; any problems are elsewhere. Do not bend arm ,unless with full
understanding. Be sure tank body is grounded well. Later Dodge trucks have
ground wire on lock tab area , so problems happened ..add brass screw and
bolt,. Wire to frame? Some repro senders do not work right, ohms are off.
Bad ground = gauge stays on E. Or drops to E .

To test wiring short wire at tank from the gauge on dash to frame at back
for 5 seconds or so  , gauge should go up; if not,  problem is at dash
gauge, regulator, or wire or bulkhead plug ; if it does go up, but was stuck
at E before,  problem is in tank or ground of tank no good.

 Actually , J-Y, I had forgotten what we did---on opening all this, dropping
tank again,  to see why the 40 ohms max at E ,(we thought float was hung up)
instead of 70, we see we had reworked that Matador sender long ago to get
the 3/8 pickup ; it had a new sender box MIG welded (!) to a new 3/8 pickup
pipe, and a homemade filter screen of metal mesh on pipe end . That sender
box,  on the one on there,  (box with fine wire winding) came from some
other vintage or make car; it is,  from its factory equipped with only 40
ohms of winding, total--which is wrong . Arm was moving correct amount etc
but wrong resistor winding ; we had 4 NOS F senders , checked them all 10-15
to 65 70 ohms (correct numbers) ; one NOS MOPAR of unknown application, with
cork float  went like 20 to 200? Early car? 40's-50's?

We used one of the NOS F to replace it,  although now back to 5/16 tank
pickup, which is probably OK. Based on my own experience and Jamie's we left
plastic basket filter off of pickup pipe, added a plastic in line clear one
at tank outlet. I do not like this, probably paper filter more restrictive
than tank mesh, not good to restrict pump suction side , but we know that
mesh falls apart or swells in alcohol, closing up the holes, clogging inside
the tank--a worse problem. This way you can see and fix in a few minutes. I
did this on many Packards, rust particles from tank on those make fuel pump
valves stick open.  Discussion with Ed,  all his lawnmowers and garden
tractor etc had failed, swelled  fuel lines this year..this stuff is BAD; I
think it gets the earlier gaskets at fuel gauge port , too, causing leaks
with full tank . Last 6 gallons are above sender port (ask me how I know
that) . NAPA ones junk, they swell, as is kit they sell for tank, lock ring
is thin, low quality,  easily bent metal and too small diameter. So save and
fix old MOPAR one.

I have a Moroso race filter , about 4" long aluminum filter with stainless
mesh in it. 3/8 too, female pipe thread ends.  You can open and clean, that
is the right thing for at tank , but 80$ or so, (auugh)  and ordered for
hemi project, not this. (Summit). May get another one for this.  Correct way
to deal with eliminating nylon mesh and alcohol fuel. All tank gaskets now
seem suspect ...

I have found opening that sender resistance unit..which I will do later on
this one ,(to see about the 40 ohms)...  almost always bends the little
slider which is quite critical in pressure on windings..if too much,  it can
hook on one wire of winding, hanging up or breaking, or wear out very
fast..often worn to nothing  ; although I have done so in past, trying to
repair it, I do not think I will ever open one again( three little
tabs..leave alone) ..too easy to break or bend it while opening it, a
critical thing . If intermittent in car or hanging up, you have to write it
off..or you spend a day messing with it , another half day exchanging tank,
only to have it screw up a week later. Sometimes little box is full of rust

On calibrating gauge, if tank is 70, empty, it should read E; if gauge
regulator is pulsing, probably ok, but that impacts temp and oil gauges too,
so all will be high or low if that is defective. If it sticks it can burn
out all the gauges , by putting 12 volts on what is supposed to be about 5 v
average (averaged by the pulsing 12V on and off), usually gauges are OK,
unless someone messed with them, in my experience. But many ARE messed with.

The little brass tanks are available from Ford parts, a pack of two.

The plastic liner someone put in this tank looks good; I have had bad luck
with that, it falls off in sheets, despite doing exactly what it says. Do
not trust it.

John Grady