From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of kmaniak@xxxxxxx [Chrysler300]
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 3:15 PM
To: jkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; jymopar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] gear lube

John, thanks for the heads up on this.

Having said that, the wording of your notice could lead the reader to believe that the rear axle bearings, located at each wheel end of the differential housing, are lubricated with the same gear lube as the differential assembly.  For 1964 and older Chryslers, including letter cars, this is not true.  On these cars, the rear axle bearings are packed in axle grease, the same as the front wheel bearings.  The greased axle bearings are contained and sealed with two grease seals, the inner grease seal that prevents the impingement of gear lube from the inside, and the outer grease seal mounted in the backing plate that prevents grease from contaminating the brake linings.  Chrysler recommends repacking the rear axle bearings every 25,000 miles or at the same interval as the front axle bearings.  This requires pulling each axle shaft and replacing both seals on each side.  Any leakage of gear lube into the brake drum indicates that BOTH seals have failed.

Many letter cars owners are aware of this design and required maintenance.  But you would be surprised how many Chrysler owners I have met over the years who were completely unaware.  So I thought I would mention this for clarity.

Chris the KMANIAC