[Chrysler300] Anything "special" about fuel pump for 1957 Chrysler 300C?

[Chrysler300] Anything "special" about fuel pump for 1957 Chrysler 300C?

Hello All --

I have heard some talk but have never seen  a clear declaration (and
documentation) about the fuel pump for the 300C being somehow "upgraded"
from the "regular" pump used on the single-carb models. Although it does
make some sense that pump for the 300C/D would have to satisfy the
higher flow demands of the dual-carb 392's, is there any clear
documentation of this, or is it just an urban legend?  If there are any
differences, what are they?   Different lever pivot point for longer
stroke for greater volume/cycle = greater flowrate?  Enlarged internal
passages?  Higher relief pressure?   I have heard of a "notch" in the
mating circle of the upper/lower parts of the "special" pump and indeed
have in my possession two pumps with such a notch ground into them.
However, the notches are clearly done by someone's grinder long after
original manufacture; they do NOT look at all like they were part of the
original casting.  Both pumps carry a rebuilder's metal tag, and I
strongly suspect that the notches were cut that way merely to allow the
rebuilder to reassemble the halves in the original orientation -- the
edges of the notches are shinier and sharper than anywhere else on the
rest of the casting.

Can anyone provide a definitive and documented differentiation,
including the standard vs. uprated specs?

If there is indeed a difference, where can one obtain the uprated pump?
I never see such a thing offered anywhere.

Related question:  If it turns out that I have a lowly standard pump on
my 300C, is there a way to get it upgraded to "300 specs"?  Where can I
get the parts to rebuild it, or where can I send my puny pump to get it
rebuilt to upgraded specs?

Another related question:  Even if there is no such thing as an
"uprated" pump, can anyone suggest where I could get my standard pump
rebuilt, and at what cost?   Or am I better off just trying to find a
NOS or recently rebuilt one?

And a final question that I perhaps should have asked near the beginning
-- even if there IS a special uprated pump available for the 392 hemis,
do I really NEED one for my non-racing application? I'm guessing that if
I ever even attempted somewhat prolonged full-throttle application (like
maybe tempting fate - and the Cokers, not to mention the troopers!)
during a brief run to maybe 110 - 120 mph, if the fuel flowrate is
insufficient, all it's going to do is lie down on the top end, right?

Ray Melton
Las Cruces, NM

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional