I hope I'm not coming off as a sales agent for SEM, but I do think there is a place for this sort of solution at times in our restoration arsenal.

Keith

-

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 2:23 PM, C Bilter <cbilter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have been under the impression (correct or not) that SEM produces a flexible “paint.”  If that is true it would be fine for vinyl, as vinyl is a synthetic material that is surface coated to start with and responds well to such a material.  Leather is a natural material that needs to “breathe” and, as I understand it, needs to have a treatment that sufficiently penetrates the leather fibers for proper adhesion and durability but still allows the leather to breathe.  A “paint” type of material, it seems to me, might give satisfactory visual results but dramatically reduce the lifespan of the leather.  I may be completely wrong; so I am interested in further education.

The original finish on 300 leathers was a surface sprayed lacquer with plasticizers added, typically done on all leather back in the day.  The plasticizers evaporate over time and the lacquer cracks.  New technology using water based dyes over the last 25 years or more has improved that issue considerably.

Products such as Leatherique or Color-Plus (same stuff) are co-polymer water based dyes alleged to be the same material used by new car manufacturers on leather interiors.  I can say from 30 years of personal experience that Leatherique is permanent and doesn’t degrade old original leather.   I would be concerned about an aerosol “paint” product on old leather; so hoping that the SEM material is something different.

Carl B

Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2015 12:57 PM
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] J interior dye

Hi Johnnie,

I just got off the phone talking to Dave in Tech at SEM Products in South Carolina (800-831-1122). They make several products along thcarpet, vinyl, fabric and leather refinishing line - some of which, such as "Classic Coat", I have used quite successfully on my C. I had contacted them now as I need a very custom saddle color for a '61 Mercedes, and they were extremely accommodating.

Yesterday they had me send a sample of the color to Anne Zoelle there. The plan is that her lab will conjure up a formula for making my exact color up in their product called Sure-Coat. The formula will be forwarded to a dealer near me so he can mix it and put it in aerosol cans for my use. Sorry, I did not ask the price as I want it badly enough to pay whatever they ask.

A few minutes ago Dave told me that he was quite confident they could come up with a formula for producing the Sure-Coat in the metallic red you need to put a new finish on your J seats. Perhaps you might like to get a sample off to Anne and see what SEM can do. Better you should contact her direct than through me. Here is the direct contact info:

Anne Zoelle
SEM Products
1685 Overview Drive
Rock Hill, SC