Re: [Chrysler300] 58 Torqueflight advice/help?

Re: [Chrysler300] 58 Torqueflight advice/help?

Hello Christopher,

 I have never seen or heard of the "sprag clutch" slip or shudder......Chrysler calls it an overrunning clutch or free wheel. similar to the operation of a bicycle where you can coast or stop pedaling.,,,,,anyway,first check the linkage from the carb to trans....it is designed to raise the line pressure the instant you give it throttle.....if the linkage is properly adjusted ,you will need to pressure check the trans for an internal seal leak....you can do this from the passenger side of the transmission..... the forward clutch is more than likely failed if the linkage was at fault.  What happens is with inadequate pressure, it will slip until the friction material is gone and you have metal to metal causing the slip/shudder condition.
If the linkage is found to be either out of adjustment or has become disconnected,it will need to be adjusted and working properly or you will fail the trans AGAIN after rebuilding.
The pressure at closed throttle and not on fast idle should be around 60 psi and raise to around 90 psi.
When you get your reading at idle,disconnect the linkage from the carb and move the rod by hand to see if it climbs to 90.
Good Luck.    Marv