[Chrysler300] Restoration of E #292

Hello, everyone:

During the tear-down and clean-up of E-292's engine block, I noticed stamped markings on the machined surface of engine block to which  the oil pan is attached.  Since I am cataloging all markings on this car, I would like to if anyone can tell me what the following means:

From rear to front - Driver's side (stamped 4 inches from rear of block and approx. five inches apart);

B+  C  B+  C

From rear to front - Passenger's side (also stamped 4 inches from rear of block and approx. five inches apart):

C  C  B+  C

Could it be the density of the cast iron after forging the block that qualified blocks for use in letter cars, a rating used by inspectors?

Also, there were occasional blobs of black enamel paint on the machined surfaces for the oil pan and the oil pump. Were these blocks painted before their assembly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Ron Kurtz
E #292