RE: [Chrysler300] 1960 Dodge Automatic Swivel Seats

RE: [Chrysler300] 1960 Dodge Automatic Swivel Seats

In the late 90's , the first Mopar I restored was a 1960 Dodge Polara  and
it had automatic swivel seats. It was a Canadian car so it had the Matador
engine( 361 cu.in.) and Matador seat upholstery.

When I got the car , the Bowden cables were broken and most of the door
hinge brackets specific to automatic swivel seat cars were missing.

I replaced the cables, the cable housing was still excellent, and I was able
to get in touch with a guy in the province of Quebec that had about 30-40
junked mopars and one of his junked cars was an auto swivel car...and it had
all the original swivel stuff present. So with the original as templates,
the guy copied/duplicated all my missing parts and brackets, including the
torsion spring,  and sold that to me. I remember the guy had trouble finding
the proper material for the torsion spring...it is a flat bar type spring
consisting of a few layers of metal held together with a rivet in the
middle... So I was able to make my auto swivel seat functional on my car.

The system worked fine, but I remember it made door opening AND closing an
unusual experience....  the door was obviously  easier to open because of
the spring,  but it was harder to close, I remember that it needed a firm
push to latch completely...maybe that's why it was not a popular option on
these cars...I don't know.

But I thought this was way cool as an option!!

 I may be able to help, depending on what you need... just info or parts?? I
do not have the car anymore, I sold it around 2003 to a guy in California.

Jean-Yves Chouinard in New Brunswick, Canada