From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John Grady jkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300]
Sent: Saturday, June 13, 2015 4:15 PM
To: RICK AND DEBBIE CLAPHAM
Cc: Don Verity; chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Voltage regulating

Hi ,

It is not so easy to find an open diode without an oscilloscope . ( EE hat on) --which someone noted and that is correct . ( DC waveform is assymetric) Now: which of the 6 or 9 diodes is it ? And It will still work on car , almost ok , with one out .  (open) But some good bad / tester would sell a lot of "rebuilt" regulators and alternators. Both , in two rounds. After three or four you might get a good one . You can just change  all the stuff without a tester. Maybe how it is in 2015 .

When you rebuild alternators , it is part of that to change diodes or test them one by one . Wires are off them then.  How is elsewhere . I have gotten into rebuilts that did not work . Especially  starters .. Loose screws , incorrect assembly , you name it . Little faith in that now .. All done in far east . And you can do it .

A tester can tell you charging not working right (we know that) and spot totally bad vr or alternator. Despite that magic , we all STILL have a widespread problem with wavering charge , to some degree or other . And for a reason . Our vr and alternator are usually good .. And swapping does not fix it always.
Mileage on this really does vary. My .02 , most mopar alternator  issues are the brush is stuck in the slide  or usually just  worn out. Storage plays a role . And in attempting  to remove the corroded brush screw the casting breaks easily  .. Leading to lots  of ingenuity --and new words   .