Re: [Chrysler300] Road trip UPDATE final

Re: [Chrysler300] Road trip UPDATE final

I just want to add something to this that always bothered me . People talk of "vapor lock " and one sees wrapped fuel lines and lots of cures centered on the line after the fuel pump . ( chevy guys) However if you think about it , it makes no sense compared to the known physics . Vapor lock happens just like water boiling . If you reduce pressure over water it boils  below 212 . If you raise pressure (15
Psi cap ) it might be 260 . Fuel after the pump is under 5 psi pressure , it cannot boil ( in my opinion ) but fuel before ,  or in the pump is under suction / vacuum .. It will boil easily ---turn to vapor and thus stop pump action . Car stalls / slows . But consider IF it boils in pressure line to carb , think about what would   happen ? Feed Needle in carb  is open ,( needs gas)  any gas or vapor is IMMEDIATELY pushed out of open end line by liquid from pump and is of no consequence .
So I think vapor lock was caused in 20's by hot fuel pump or hot suction side intake line between tank and carb , running near or on engine ---not the line ( which may be very hot ) from pump to carb . Ethanol  aggravates all this .  It simply cannot do that , clog the carb pressure line with vapor , as one end is open ( it is ) and if pump is working liquid is coming to push out vaporized  gas instantly . Like air in garden hose .
Understanding all this is worth pondering ---as real problem gets mixed up with misunderstood folklore and imagined problem ? Tony mentions bleed type mopar fuel filter , line back to tank ,,that works well by rapid flow through pump and thus cooling suction  line . Electric pumps by pressurizing whole line .
In my personal experience fuel flow problems are 99% caused by gas tank crap getting into pump valves ( huge intermittant problem ) or clogging sock in tank . Or fuel line to pump . Then flow drops . and it gets hot at pump and the high suction due to clogged sock in old tank ( "cleaning tank " does not stop this , back 2-3 k miles later , especially if car sits -- ) nor does lining it work , in my experience .. If it rusts once it does  again fast , alcohol holds water now --and liners fall off inside . I now add  a filter just ahead of pump , routinely . Not all roses ( ? Restriction--but have seen no loss of power with new filter at WOT  ?) but problems gone . JY 's F stopped with me driving it back from Pa meet , gradual power loss ,it  had this described filter ahead of pump set up ---we changed it by side of road -- 8 miles from home on 2k mile trip ! zoomed away afterwards .. Everything exactly same on hot 90 degree day . It was actually  physically  HEAVY with black tank crap filling it . So "vapor lock " might be an incorrect catchall .... Those who try to help say " vapor lock ? "
Or really maybe it is caused by high suction vacuum activated boiling due to restricted  inlet in tank .
Last ---I had collapsed  tank on 57 dodge D500 in 61 due to wrong cap , for sure this happened , so all mopar tanks are not vented outside of filler  . The vent runs back into neck near top . 57 Dodge stopping dead was  attributed by those in the know to vapor lock in summer and water in gas in winter . Both dead wrong , but being young put gentle heat from torch on line in winter ( it started after wards --as vacuum faded , reinforcing this particular bs)One day after two years of intermittant hassle tank made a big noise as it contracted , opened cap , big whoosh . Wrong cap . Right cap I think had flapper type arrangement to let air in though about .060 hole , but not let vapor out .
Still learning . 1) Buy new tank if in question -- cheap now 2) remove sock if #3 3) add filter at pump inlet or tank outlet . ( brings up plastic ones ... Smile.--I mean you can see in and no pressure --metal ..guard around it ?
Best for this is 3/8 moroso stainless mesh race filter about 6 " long .. You can open and clean , zero flow restriction but 80 $
My 03  , john

Sent from my iPhone