RE: Fwd: [Chrysler300] RE: coil springs

I'm pretty sure the driver's side springs in most cars are a little stiffer
so that the car is more likely to ride level with one of us brutes driving
the brute and alone in the car.  Engines are also offset a little to the
right-maybe to generate more floor space for the driver and pedals as well
as offset driver mass.  Oval track racing suspensions might be stiffer on
the RHS.

Ride height on the C-300 was about 1.5" lower than the NY.  The stiffer
front springs acted to reduce bottoming out with this "slammed" suspension.

One must make sure the F&R springs are "300 spec".  I have noticed that
300's with replacement or re-arched rear springs often have a
jacked-up/raked appearance.  The spring rate may be correct, but the arching
curve appears to be excessive.  While some after-installation settling may
be built in, I don't think they came from the factory that way.  Our C-300
was actually kind of low in the rear and came equipped with rear helper
springs and a trailer hitch.  The original long-term owner may have been
dragging a horse trailer or camper around the Colorado Springs area.  New
shocks, no helper springs and the tired old rear springs gave it a rather
low and wicked look.  A favorite picture is attached for the individuals and
available for the interested.

My notes show these spring rates in lbs/inch as per AMA spec's:

C-300

New Yorker

Windsor

Front

800

480

480

Rear

160

100

90

The C-300 rear springs were seven-leaf instead of five or six-leaf in the
other sedan/coupe/convertible  models.  Crown Imp's and wagons also had
seven-leaf rear springs.

In spite of the much stiffer front springs, I did not find the ride in our
'55 C-300 to be anything but firm.  But I drive a Jeep and a 4WD Durango so
may not be used to a boulevard ride.  I do recall that manufacturers of cars
at the time sought that mushy boulevard ride in the '50's, so a stiff
suspension as on a C-300 would have been unusual.  There are stories of
prospective buyers coming in to a Chrysler dealer after another big NASCAR
win or Tom McCahill article and test driving the C-300, finding it too stiff
and buying a New Yorker or Windsor instead.  That was certainly the idea
behind the low -production high-priced 300's.  It's always about selling
cars, but first the customer must be drawn into the showroom.

Utilizing the Chrysler 300 mystique/concept to draw customers in continues
today after a 26-year hiatus of (none built 1972-1997).  Brand recognition
is amazing.  Viva Chrysler 300's.  Someday soon, a coupe and/or convertible?
Seems like they could create one easily on the Challenger chassis.  Maybe
bring it out in just three colors, tan leather seats, hellcat engine and
red, white and blue side emblems.  Harrier than a Borneo gorilla in a
raccoon suit (thanks, Tom).

C-300-less,

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA