[Chrysler300] Fwd: Noel's 300F electrical issues -

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Grady <jkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: August 14, 2016 at 8:28:30 AM EDT
To: cpaviper@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Noel's 300F electrical issues -

Sounds highly promising . First description is all normal stuff . VR and wiring is working right . And probably always does, Second issue you note is not that it is "discharging " ( even though factually true) rather it is not charging enough on heavy loads to offset that added load.  Words are very important as true " discharging " happens with key off , kills battery due to leak sitting still. Discharge indication with engine on over 1500 rpm is due to not enough rpm or defect in charge system . Also normal at times ( at idle with headlights on ,or  rainy night defroster / wiper on too ) Headlights  take more than gen makes at idle by themselves especially if other stuff is on too  . So it takes some from the checking account ( battery) . It cannot be headlight switch , but , as odd as it may sound , both of your bad experiences involved night drive ? Plus you upgraded headlights ( that is ok ) but might be higher watts . Also ok but taxes charge system more . 30 A times 12 is 360 watts = all you have as a total max to use running along at higher rpm . 4x35 w ( stock)=  140 w hi beam . Halogen can be up to 50 or 55 . 220 watts still ok . Wipers , heat fan, etc play into this . 100 watts each ? Why Ac gen is larger at35?or 40 . New car alternator today is 60-100 A ( 700-1200watts , plus alternator charges more at idle)
Why I say odd is that dead battery after night drive but ok in day is exactly what a slipping belt does . Or second , a generator with troubles . ( arcing brushes) . This could all be as simple as a slipping belt ? HAS to be quite tight . Tighter than you might think. It is a classic symptom / syndrome back in the day . Sometimes no noise . It is either that or still a marginal generator , or too long belt ?
Interested what you find . I had this on a six volt  Packard , went through your dance about 1965 .

 Working right = over about 1000 rpm should show amps at middle or very slight charge , headlights , heat wipers on in  day too ..... letting it idle will show discharge . NOW IMPORTANT = That is 100 % normal . And dimmer lights . Gen going too slow to make 200 + w , battery supplies deficit for a bit . ( why discharge indication)
A  Good way to check charging is lights brighten up perceptively with rev off idle  .
Hope this helps ! Even slipping belt charges enough in day ... Look for shiny belt and shiny pulley . I believe rough spec is you can deflect only 3/4 " in middle of long span max with thumb . Needs pry bar to be that tight . That you changed it back might have slightly tightened belt .
You are doing great . Understanding it better than fixing it ! Almost !
Sent from my iPhone