I'm getting a lot of help here and I appreciate it, folks. Mr. McKovitch says he has an extra and will send it my way.

Now it seems to me that 5 years ago I knew this and dealt with it in the correct way with the right part. Well, we'll lift it again when the vent arrives from George and go from there.

I'm rather glad it peed out on the garage floor after I returned from the hot trip. At least I know it wasn't empty of gear oil during the trip.

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 6:09 PM, Gary Nelson <gnelson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Keith and all,

Definitely has a vent. It holds the brass “Y” block to top of housing where the brake line comes from front and splits off to the L & R side brakes. It is located about half way between the left brakes and center section. All Chrysler products for many years had it. Should not be hard to find. I doubt a Napa item.

Gary

Sent: Monday, August 29, 2016 2:36 PM
Subject: [Chrysler300] Rear axle vent on a C

A little help please?

I destroyed the rear axle pinion seal somehow on my C. Never leaked a drop before, and suddenly seemed to let go. I had replaced the gear oil a few thousand miles back, so that should have been rather fresh. But it actually smelled a little skunky now already, and that makes us wonder whether it may have overheated and destroyed the seal on a recent 3-hour 95-degree trip.

The mechanic noted that I do not appear to have a housing vent, and suggests the pressure buildup may have been a big contributing factor. I do think I may have a solid plug on the top of the axle tube somewhere.Should there be a vent on the '57 housing? If so, where? And is that a common NAPA part?

Thanks guys.

Keith Boonstra

-

Posted by: Keith Boonstra <kboonstra.zeegroup@xxxxxxxxx>