I think it is Ford and Studebaker use similar gauge senders ( thermal gauges were  mfg by Atwater -Kent) . So typically on mopar 60 up thermal ---when engine hot ,  a wrong  new sender , = gauge is not up very much . Pulled one off old junker 318 to fix.

I am very familiar with thermal gauges 60 up , but not 55-58 (59 ?) which are fast moving and probably meter type dash movements ? Never had a problem with those. But if same sender ohm ranges , as the thermal ;(  probably same as gas tank for oil pressure and temp ) and same sense ( low ohms = high reading) , then about 10 ohms to ground should send it to max and about 90 or more to min ( can do that test at engine or gas tank wire with resistors 2 watt is best ----for sure that is approximately right info on thermal gauges , all three of them  . Might help you make sure it is the gauge before all that . I do not want to present any misinformation , on the earlier cars , hope this does not confuse you, as not directly applicable, maybe someone else knows ohm and sense of gas gauge sender empty and full in 57 . A place to start to check temp or oil . Maybe FSM has this somewhere in early years?

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 18, 2016, at 7:58 AM, Kraus300@xxxxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300] <Chrysler300-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Bill,

The speedo and gauge pod attachment method and removal is identical. You would only have to remove the gauge pod. The pod has 3 threaded posts around the edge and is secured with nuts from the back.
3/8 or 7/16, can't remember the exact size. No real tricks, it's just getting a hand up there.  You'll be able to feel the fasteners around the edge of the pod.  You may not need a ratchet. I used a socket on a short extension,
the nuts weren't on that tight.

Since you'll be in there.... maybe take out the speedo pod (unscrew the speedo cable first from the back of the pod) and clean up both. You can also oil the often neglected speedo lube wick on the back of that pod. Easy to see
when the pod removed.  A few drops of light oil. More isn't better. Also check and replace any burned out dash lights.

A quick note.... it is a bad temp gauge? Some of the temperature sending units sold today will fit in place but are not calibrated for the C. They give false reads, both high and low.  From memory, I think my last replacement
was a NORS stock # TSU18.

Jim Krausmann

From: "commercialenergy@xxxxxxx [Chrysler300]" <Chrysler300-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 8:55:24 AM
Subject: [Chrysler300] Dash pod removal 300C

Greetings! I have a bad temperature gauge in my 300C and need to replace it! After looking around a bit it looks like I will have to remove it from behind the dash and there is not much room to access it! Does anyone have any tricks to make this easier? Thanks in advance! Bill

Posted by: John Grady <jkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>