RE: [Chrysler300] Voltage Regulator-solid state

RE: [Chrysler300] Voltage Regulator-solid state

John,

Thanks for commenting, I was hoping you might chime in with your electrical background.  So, I too have not had the best luck with solid state VR's.  This is actually the 3rd one I've had since about 2003 that's gone flaky.  Yes, it is the small chip type, made in China, on the smallish circuit board.  Looks good, but just doesn't seem to hold up.

Drove it about 375 miles yesterday coming back from Malibu from my son's wedding. He and his fiancé (now wife) asked if they could include it in the wedding and have it at the church, so we made it happen.  They had a video crew there catching it all and included a short drive down the Pacific Coast Highway.  I shipped it down there but decided to drive back.  It ran fine but that darn problem of the wildly swinging ammeter started up.  As it got dark the lights were flickering as you would expect, but all of a sudden, the light output dropped.  I was close to home at that point, so I immediately put a volt meter on it when I pulled in.  With the engine running at idle, I measured 12.54 volts at the battery, which is of course, too low.  I turned it off and went to bed.

Today, I fired it up and now the voltage reads too high @ 15.10 volts!!  The regulator has gone wacko.  The reason I've stayed with solid state units is that everyone says they will eliminate ammeter bouncing, but I'm not so sure about that.  All comments are welcome!

Bob J