From: John Grady <jkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2017 5:51 PM
To: 'RICK AND DEBBIE CLAPHAM'; 'Ray Jones'
Cc: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] 300 G A/C

Re: Freon levels in AC.

While the following might seem strange to pros and newbies both, I struggled with this ?how much Freon is in it ? question, for many years, pressure gauges do not tell you, ----This due to JUNK mopar evaporators on multiple JEEPS. They are made of thin aluminum, almost aluminum foil in my opinion, which then sit in their own toilet drain water as the drain design for AC condensation  is also junk.(aka  ?that smell? ) So corrosion from outside and inside  develops a pin hole Freon leak in evap core . At first, no AC one day---so you recharge , ok for 3-6 months. Repeat, but now 5 months then 3 months etc etc. Pin holes growing. Due to still more genius engineering in JEEPS, it is 2000$ at  stealership to pull entire dash and steering wheel out  , to get at the flimsy 39$ AC evap or heater core..Heater core another ?sure to fail? loser from modern mopar. So at ~ ten + years old you have both problems , 2000 each, a year apart, (so smarten up do both at once ) and then at 140k  piston skirts break off at oil ring line , (had been redesigned ?to lighten them?), another 2k+$, or  1998 to 2002 head cracks , leaks antifreeze into oil. Whole new engine required for that one. They  ?Redesigned the head?. Why? They took the best 4.0 engine ever made , AMC six, up there with the slant, good engine since the 50?s/ 60?s , until 97 at least, they finally wrecked it at end. 4.0 was making all the new ?100k and worn out ? V6  ones  look awful.(they are) .  Old one, a  97 4.0 inline six , made it to 300k in one Grand Cherokee jeep I had  .

Anyway, how to tell Freon levels gets to be a monthly challenge , with your great JEEP mini leak in summer,  avoiding the 2k$ bill?..for a while . So , after struggling lot, had a new idea; new to me anyway.

Refrigerant coming out of condenser in front ought to be pretty hot , going into the receiver /dryer  , where it is stored, say when starting AC , and the car up from cold, so tried feeling receiver can with my hand at startup. (later it is going to be all evenly hot) Idea was right ---it gets hot. But it very soon gets hot all over--- refrigerant must spray hot liquid inside it ,and heat spreads out  in a metal, a good conductor of heat. But half way there!  So decided to try carefully spraying ice cold water on receiver can while AC is operating. Viola!! Where liquid sits in puddle at bottom, it will stay pretty hot, but at top half of can it gets cold from water being a good coolant  , and only a thin layer is on the inside, not a pond of hot Freon , like at bottom. After a while I got good at this. Add a can, you can feel it rise up, and stop when 1? from top (arbitrary, my guess) .If indication of level and this concept , are not TOTALLY  clear to you, do NOT do this.

It was manna from heaven for me?.I can now tell reserve Freon level inside the receiver?no gauges.  If low,  throw a can in. One of those temp guns and water might work like this too.

Agree sight glass is terrific, if you have one. But once bubbles go away, how much more could you add?

Hope this experiment helps somebody?

Kinda cool!