Shooting up with WD-40 was worth a shot, but that seems to be proven inappropriate. I can see the naphtha and other solvents breaking down the sliding cards and making the ends mushy. Just hope the solvents have not damaged the plastic housing.
I’m wondering how the mechanic applied the WD-40? If the whole control unit was out, it would have been a good opportunity to send the unit off to have the fiber plates replaced with new modern plastic. Grady Research did a great job on mine. If the mechanic was able to remove and replace the rubber socket from the plastic tubes, the tubes could have been broken.
As I removed and checked each of the four actuators, I found most leaked where the rubber grommet around the push rod met the hole in the rod side of the actuator can. I couldn’t figure out how to get the grommets off—even if I could find new ones. So, I added weatherstrip cement around the edges and now all seem to hold. The rod slips through the grommet, so I polished the rod and added a little (you guessed it) WD-40 to the rods. I did buy a vacuum gun kit from Harbor Freight and used it to test each actuator for leakage and operation before I put them back in the car.
Best wishes, winter is almost here, and you might need the heater.
Hi group, my mechanic sprayed WD40 into the heat defrost AC controls that were real stiff, now there easy to use but they do not work, should I rebuild the control or do I have a vacuum leak. Before the WD40 the controls hardly worked for AC, defrost, air flow.
Harry in Portland OR
Posted by: "Rich Barber" <c300@xxxxxxx>
To send a message to this group, send an email to:
To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or
go to https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/all/manage/edit
For list server instructions, go to http://www.chrysler300club.com/yahoolist/inst.htm
For archives go to http://www.forwardlook.net/300-archive/search.htm#querylang