Re: [Chrysler300] 1961-63 15² 300 Wheels

Re: [Chrysler300] 1961-63 15² 300 Wheels

Hi To All,

This has been quite a learning experience regarding these 1961-63 15” x 6” letter car wheels. Many have changed contributed photos and info. They are acknowledged at the end. And the good news is that replacements are readily available.

These letter cars shared their wheels with the same years of Chrysler Enforcer Police Cars. The Chrysler Enforcers were meant as a happy median with less high end yet good low end performance and better gas mileage in the city than the letter cars of these years. They had 325 hp 383 cu in engines with special cams.

See link:

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/members/AardvarkPublisherAttachments/9990392081859/1961-10_CL_1961_Chrysler_Enforcer_Police_Car_Test_1-4.pdf

These police cars used dog dish center caps that required clips on the wheels.

Original wheels for the letter cars have been documented with and without these clips on the wheels.. Without the clips there were no provisions to hold on a center cap. Of course, the letter cars ran full wheel covers. Possibly, the clip-less wheels were meant for the spare tire?

See link:

http://www.chrysler300club.com/tech/wheels/62.html

An almost exact replacement wheel is already made by Wheel Vintiques and sold direct or thru Summit Racing, Coker Tire & others.

They are Series 63 (Mopar Standard Steel Wheel)

15X6 OE CHRYSLER BLACK | 5X4.5" BOLT | 3.75" BACKSPACE $108 including Powder Coating

Wheel Vintiques SKU: 63-5612334
See links:

https://www.wheelvintiques.com/15-x-6-oe-chrysler-5-4-1-2-bp-satin-black-3-3-4-b-s.html

https://www.cokertire.com/wheels/steel-wheels/mopar-standard.html

Stockton Wheel will continue to make the stronger “radial tire” wheels for ‘57-‘65 Chryslers that ran 14” wheels both in 14” x 7” and 15” x 7” that accept 14” original hubcaps.

I will announce new formal part numbers and pricing, from them, in the near future.

Thanks to the following members for sharing their photos and experiences:

Bob Merritt, Rick Clapham, Andy Mikonis, Pete Fitch, Doug Warrener, Jeff Miklas & Bob Jasinski.

This info adds to the “folk lore” of our special cars.

Tony Rinaldi