Re: [Chrysler300] Recommendations for 300F exhaust

Re: [Chrysler300] Recommendations for 300F exhaust

About twelve years ago I had a major problem with the full aluminized exhaust system I got from Waldron.   I placed the order over the phone and was asked a series of questions to describe the vehicle for their order form.  A few weeks later, the big boxes arrived and I took everything to the best muffler shop in town.  Two days later, they said the car was ready, but I was shocked at their $600 installation charge (their initial estimate was $250)!  They said, "Look at this mess we had to deal with!" as they pointed to the car on the lift.  The exhaust was chopped and welded into probably ten little sections on each side - a miserable-looking mess!  They explained that nothing fit and they had to chop it up and cut away part of the frame to get the pipes through, etc.  And of course, the mufflers, didn't fit, either.  But instead of calling me when they encountered a problem, they just went ahead and pieced the chopped-up pieces together.  I paid them and immediately called Waldron; after reviewing the order they eventually asked me one critical question that they overlooked initially:  "Is this a hardtop or a convertible?"   I was a real newbie at the time and didn't learn until too late that the exhaust for a convertible is a different size and shape than the hardtop, (especially having to deal with the extra "X-member" frame bracing for the convertible).   I didn't know to volunteer that info, and they didn't ask.  They basically said it was my fault for not telling them it was a convertible, when THEY were the ones who knew there was a difference, not I!  They offered to sell me a whole new system for a convertible at a 20% discount to retail, which I promptly declined because of all the extra labor (and shipping) that would be involved!  Only upside:  I got a 2-1/4" exhaust system for a hardtop instead of a 1-3/4" system for a convertible!

I now looks like Waldron has improved their website to clarify the difference between the hardtop and convertible, but I'll never do business with them again, and I expressed my serious displeasure with the manager of the muffler shop; they should have called me immediately when they encountered a problem!

Ray Melton  Las Cruces,NM   1957 Chrysler 300C  convertible