Re: [Chrysler300] Recommendations for 300F exhaust

On 10/2/2018 6:50 PM, Larry Jett LarryWJett@xxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300] wrote:

> Years ago I paid big bucks for stainless and as I was bragging to the
>  installer, he put a magnet on the "stainless" and it gripped like a
>  tick.  Took months to get the difference rebated to me.
 >  TRUST but VERIFY

As a kid I Liked playing with magnets, that resurfaced when rare earth
magnets hit the surplus markets.  I toyed around one day recently and
because the one I was playing with stuck to the end of one of the
pieces of the tableware I have I was confused.
it didn't exhibit much 'sticky' to the working end of the spoon, nor
the shaft, but it did stick to the fancy stamped end of the handle.

So Off I went to learn more about stainless steel.
Turns out when its 'worked' it can get its molecular alinements
rearranged and a magnet (I presume the rare earth types will
illustrate this WAY better then the old alnico magnets of my youth)
can stick.

As a class of steel 'Stainless' has a variety of compositions that the
term can be applied to according to what I was reading.
A low grade Stainless just might be good enough to resist rust and
still exhibit magnet attraction properties as long as the magnet is
strong enough.

Thats what I gathered from the recent reading on stainless steel I did,
at least until better information crosses my eyeballs.

--
Paul Holmgren
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)