Re: [Chrysler300] Hard Starting 55 C300

It uses permanent magnets , no field winding and spins very fast;  maybe 3-5 x as fast as a direct drive starter , so for same hp only needs to make 1/5 the torque ; then they put a gear train in the starter to slow down rpm at pinion and increase torque . Was called Hitachi starter at one time , then many others copied it  . No losses in a field winding , more power into spinning part . So more efficient .. less current too.
John

Sent from my iPhone not by choice