RE: [Chrysler300] p/s pressure hose for G

RE: [Chrysler300] p/s pressure hose for G

Yes It has been noted that there is a difference between the long and short wheel base cars and the position of the steering box in relation to the hose bends in a Ram engine car. The Napa Hose may fit because the 63/64 cars are a short wheel base car. Does the Napa hose go over the DS ram? If it does not then it is the standard replacement PS hose.  And did it fit without bending the connection?  However, it will not fit the long wheel base car as we have tried several replacement hoses and all have the incorrect bend at the box, or were too short to go over the ram. Chrysler lists different part numbers for the hose, one for the standard cars and another for the Ram cars. Later after the cars were out of production Chrysler parts consolidated the replacement ram hoses (long and short wheelbase) and made one service replacement hose for all the Ram cars, we are working off of that information.

I think the difference is a bend angle at steering gearbox inlet to get around ram , I had to deal with that surprise long ago . Jamie knows much more of the details  — but might be good to explain to new members what the difference is . You may be given the more common one as a replacement . Inlet Fitting on 300 steering box might be angled slightly different  too . The other hose ( all non ram  PS Mopar ?) is common , or was ..

While on 60-61 PS , that swinging pump mount quickly wears the holes egg shape from bouncing around , then pump axis or pulley mount shaft gets tilted , pulley is obviously tilted out of line , belt runs screwy.

First thing I ever made to fix this one , — of the 4-5 - 60,61 letter car  factual engineering fiascos — was a long shoulder bolt and spacer pipe to make that same mount rock solid .  Allowed making the holes oversize on centers . Throw rotted oil soaked rubber goo bumper in the trash can . Belt turns true , all is happy . That was 50 years ago ...  sold 10-15 of them—back then ..  factory pump mount design is a garbage idea ( there—  I said it ) .. smile.

Maybe we bring that kit back ... can be done with threaded rod , nuts and cut iron pipe if I remember right... but nice Allen bolt instead in kit looks great ,

John

Ps fiasco # 2 is hood pull cable on 60 , both ends of it break right off  . Now what  ? You say you want to open  hood?

Shorten and then Drill the “HOOD. “ T 3/8” in and carefully solder it ( the factory crimp there causes fatigue)  , other end can solder an electrical eyelet or as part of this , buy a manual choke cable and steal the new pull wire .

Fiasco 3 might be the Ranco thermostatic heater water valve . Ruins your new rug set .  Replace with 70’s Dodge truck in line water valve , under hood. Valve belongs under the hood. With no rubber seals.

Fiasco 4 is 25 or 30 a fuse for heater or AC . End clips heat up in fuse block and lose tension , gets hot , blows fuse and melts block . Cannot fix that . Those clips are good for 15 -20 a tops. Cure is heavy duty in line fuse holder at fuse box wired to main inlet wire and then to heater fuse feed .. .

I know not stock.   = no stock

Problems either ..

5 up , others can chime in

Sent from my iPhone not by choice