RE: [Chrysler300] Flamethrower, just the facts as I know them

RE: [Chrysler300] Flamethrower, just the facts as I know them

I’ve had a Pertronix  unit installed in my original distributor on my 300G since 2011 and running the stock coil.  From the day I installed it, the engine has never run better, it starts faster, idles better, and stays in tune much longer.

The installation instructions state “A resistor wire or ballast resistor may or may not be included in the original equipment.  They are not to be changed in any way with the installation of an ignitor system”  Mine is installed exactly as the instructions specify, with the red wire from the Ignitor (Pertronix) going directly to the ballast resistor 12 volt input from the ignition switch, so the ignitor gets 12 volts when the key is on.  The output wire from the ballast resistor remains in place and connects to the + side of the distributor as original.

So, as I understand it, the coil still receives reduced voltage through the ballast resistor when running, but the ignitor (Pertronix) receives full voltage when the key is in on position (running).  I see no benefit in replacing the coil, if it failed, I would consider a coil upgrade, but as it is, with stock coil running great, I would just as well be inclined to replace the coil with a stock unit.

Just my 2 cents worth, Larry is running a Mopar electronic distributor, so his situation is different, but thought I’d share my experience with Pertronix in my stock tach drive dual point distributor.

Bob J