Re: [Chrysler300] Pertronix 40,000 volt coil

Re: [Chrysler300] Pertronix 40,000 volt coil

To kind of close this up , for me anyway, I too have the orange box / mopar conversion distributor on several  daily drivers , including the 67 slant six dart convert I drive everywhere , and 67 barracuda 273 . Same exact  reasons as Marshall . Slant six points are a real joy to get to , too.
I have had no failures of mopar Orange boxes either —100k Miles .   But a blue one failed .
The point of the first reply was mainly directed at shorting out ballast resistors . Or high  ratio  coils . Any engineered system will work if instructions are followed . Randomly changing pieces or parameters will cause failures as the system overall design is ruined . And points are truly OK set up right, other than mileage to tuneups . Personally I like the “ repairability”  aspect . And the terrific quality of the old iron dual point , some with tach drive , all with oilers and ball bearing vacuum advance — not an off center pivot pin. .  And that it won  many nascar races , and went 140 mph . Part of the 300 legend/ engineering . And you get the 300 letter  car  specific advance curve , and the High dwell of dual points. . Not a fit all  advance curve from a Chevy or 360 .   It matters as the hemi hates more than 28-30 degrees , others may need 35 +
So an A block mopar performance distributor curve is off .. ..
as far as pertronix , seems fine ,  just keep an extra in the trunk , use the coil primary ohms they tell you to —
Peace —- and good spark!
Good discussion, thanks for input ,
John

Sent from my iPhone not by choice