[Chrysler300] brake cylinders , general

past few days have been after D front wheel  cylinders / brakes . Today, we solicit any comments / knowledge  , or share same !

So, after a small leak with silicone fluid ,the  left front of car grabbed badly . i do not think you can really get any brake fluid out of linings no matter what you try , with silicone being probably 20x worse . so new shoes have to go in . however the two old shoes were made differently from each other , although both had the only one “ set” of V ‘s as is correct in early 58 ,57 .  = mix of brands? Single pair of  V ‘s in each shoe are different heights . more on this in a moment .
although we could find no obvious reason for  small leak by piston , some obvious significant crud was piled in top cylinder right behind the inward ( new) piston travel , despite being thoroughly cleaned ( stuff at assembly  was spotless)and new piston put in recently with almost no miles . This Crud may have gotten under piston lip ? so bleeding brakes may move significant long term crud on our now old cars from lines to wheel cylinder !  heads up .
That says bleed all lines aggressively into a cup before attaching new wheel cylinders? did not know — or do that ...
so , Ed , who has worked with me for many years , got a new piston , and honed brake cylinder “ just in case a scratch “ I get this , but question came up in my mind what is spec of final wall finish  ? common KD brake hone. .. on line , there are talks of “cross hatch “ ( =mouth wag , taken from engine cylinder?) . .. to me as engineer for a seal you want a mirror finish ? like on construction equipment rod, not a hone finish ? although maybe hone is ok . ( not sure about that .. would expect seepage due to microscopic rough surface ?)    .
so out of caution and indecision decided to just replace cylinder , but this question remains ?? and many “rebuild job” honed cylinders do seep a bit . anyone know factually about finish ?
another seep is another set of shoes ... and all this work . and breaking in shoes.
says to me very light pass with hone or  just leave it alone if clean after bench cleanup .

now , —“new “ shoes seemed to have both sets of V,s .
confused me as that is for “three platform brakes (?)” , and the third point they count is apparently the two plates in the middle of shoe web that are part of cam adjuster etc —-with the 4 large bolts . no info on new shoes — riveted rebuild no box.  on shelf for years. probably for an F .
Trying these, on D , the extra V’s do not hit anything , ( no matching platform on backing plate ) so maybe later shoes ( 59 up) fit the earlier cars , or some would. After careful examination , I can see no issues .
so ? some questions:
1) of correct wheel cylinder finish , ? 2) later shoe retro retrofit ,? 3) bleeding st high flow may flush harmful junk into upper wheel  cylinder , —- and not out the drain . never thought of that .

there are solvents for silicone oil , Dow , but could not find retail sale of it .Think it is DS 2025   .. another subject .
all FYI !
john grady
Sent from my iPhone not by choice

<*> Your email settings: