Re: {Chrysler 300} a/c

Ok, couldn’t resist commenting any longer.  I converted my factory A/C (Model 900) on my C after years of frustration getting it to cool satisfactorily without success.  It was using R-12 and converted to 134A and then with this propane based refrigerant and I said enough!  Sold the compressor, condenser, drier, etc. to George Glavis who wanted to put the unit in a C he was restoring just for show, not function.  I saved the Model 900 box for heating and defrosting along with the oil solenoid system for channeling air flow along with the 3 speed blower motor and squirrel cage and connecting tunnel. Replaced everything else with modern A/C aftermarket components from Vintage Air in the front and Old Air Products for rear unit.  Bought a Sanden model 209 compressor designed for dual A/C unit applications, a parallel flow condenser and all the safety switches , etc.  Each unit has it’s own drier.  The Vintage Air is a universal under dash retro looking unit and the rear Old Air Products A/C unit is a triple coil dual blower unit with intake from a vent between my dual rear speakers and dual outlets on the C pillar side of the speakers. Using 134A refrigerant. Front unit controlled by it’s own switches.  Rear unit switch is also for 3 blower speeds (as the front) with it’s rotary switch concealed in the glove box.  A fellow in Vancouver, WA fabricates a bracket for the Sanden compressor for the 392 Hemi. The compressor is spun on a dual belt pulley just like the original set up and I use a 331 Hemi dual groove pulley as a belt tensioner to alleviated strumming of the 71-72” belts.  The system is fabulous!  The Sanden rotary compressor is quiet and vibration free and you can not detect any drain on the engine when the compressor is engaged.  The car is COLD!!!  The A/C condensate is routed internally from the front by a hose exiting through the fire wall and the trunk unit condensate is routed by a hose running through a hole in the trunk shelf where the A/C refrigerant hoses enter the trunk compartment.  Totally enjoyable to drive with a modern A/C unit granting more drive time in the hot southwest!  Not running on generator, converted long before the modern A/C system to a 108 amp GM single wire internal voltage regulator alternator which fits on the factory generator brackets. Life is too short to get the original units functioning well.  Design had a lot to be desired when Chrysler went in 1957 to installing the evaporator unit on the engine side of the firewall 3” from the driver side exhaust manifold.  I would like to say it is my $0.02 worth but the equipment and labor was expensive but worth every cent.  If someone is seriously interested I can provide part numbers, etc. and reveal the expense involved.  300’ly, Rob Kern

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 10, 2021, at 1:46 PM, RICK AND DEBBIE CLAPHAM <rixpac@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Check out, Bouchillon Performance Engineering, I am air-conditioning my Shaker equipped E body.  Rick

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: John Grady
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2021 6:31 AM
To: Meritt 'Bob; Hyde Jamie; Chouinard JY; mgoodknight@xxxxxxxxx; chrysler-300-club-international@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: {Chrysler 300} a/c

I had a thought this fine morning ( plus 40 degrees in two days !) about a/c .

Probably like half the club , i have a few ac cars . When the time comes for restoration one faces a real mess - try to do rebuild to use huge bucks , essentially illegal R-12 ,  or “ just as good” (?) subs, do nothing and hope with R 12 , or convert old system to the new refrigerant . System is open anyway when restoring ..easy to do stuff correctly then.  I have never gotten a straight technical story ( just opinion and anecdote) about whether our expansion valve based system ( the valve itself) works well with another refrigerant  , but all are throttling valves that close when temp is low enough , like thirties , , and progressively open  while still throttling for more expansion volume if core temp rises . So from basic operation it ought to work .
The RV2 compressor was always a bit of a  dog imho    - seal leaks clutch stuff / variations , reed valves etc. Kind of crude heavy and large . But if thoroughly cleaned out our evap core and condenser are generous and copper (!) , the dryer is available and  large  — all great stuff —

so the idea is :

maybe club works with vintage air to make a kit to   put Sanden compressor on RV2 bolts? And convert correctly , correct custom hoses , possibly even adding cycling clutch type operation ? Dual belts an issue but solvable ?
market here has to be 500+ for them? I would buy instantly for an F ac I am contemplating starting . Probably cheaper than fixing the old stuff in long run, and it will work .  I Was first thinking of abandoning  stock  and going add on vintage air , that would look awful. Which brings this up .
I have also removed 2-3 add on air from F ‘s over the years.
And I have a few restored 300 “ok” except no R 12 . So = has ac , “ just needs charging” — aka , no ac . Converting an RV2 in the car is dicey due to changing ALL oil exactly right ? And — do you rebuild RV2 (!!arrgh) —Wrong  Oil is all through the system ?

Anyway , might be a zero expenditure good thing if one of us has the time. Get cadillac type powerful cold AC from a  bulletproof system ?      great readily available compressor cheap refrigerant cold air .No stories needed  just sayin .. sounds good to me .
John G

Sent from my iPhone not by choice

---

---