From: John Grady [mailto:jkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, November 1, 2021 9:05 AM
To: dplotkin <dplotkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Joe Luciano <luckyl46@xxxxxxx>; chrysler-300-club-international@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: {Chrysler 300} lights flickering

hi all ,

diodes failing will cause low output on maximum amps — not flickering , and as discussed before — you cannot see flicker on a DMM , but can on analog . V change shakes  or moves the needle . Same as lights .

But as Dan said DMM is excellent for exact charge state but numbers jump around with mechanical regulator .

It IS totally normal that lights flicker and ammeter jumps a bit on all alternator cars with mechanical regulators , all mopars did this right up to 70 or so .

The reason is those regulators are not continuous smooth proportional controls like electronic ones . They have three states , full on , about half on and minimum . Set by the resistors on the back ( if rusted at ends , = the problem ) So it runs full on just after a start and then points open and close rapidly if charge rate needed is between two of the three states ; it charges hard , so volts go up it sees that up voltage reduces  charge rate so volts go    down . Ammeter shows this too . The flicker . Normal . After a while in daylight it drops to lowest setting = highest voltage = battery full ( may take hours after long storage , 90 AH battery takes 3 hours at 30 A ) , so understandably you think something wrong . It is normal . This comes up over and over in club . Way it works. Still fools me , I drove to bar harbor maine from Boston after sitting , I thought overcharging in daylight , it stopped about 20 miles from end  4 hour trip . Fine from then on , minor jumping around .

You can buy a high end good new one at rockauto for  low $ . Forget electronic retrofits come from China , unreliable .

On alternators what does go wrong ( other than bearings seizing) are the brushes wear out . easy to change buy them at rock too .

You may get two , one of them will fit your one brush .
Hope this helps . Don’t “adjust it “ either , easy to ruin it .

Sent from my iPhone not by choice