Re: {Chrysler 300} Temperature

Hi , just went through this , someone put a 2 row core in my car which has a b block 383 ( it is a 58 dodge but same deal going on .. ran hotter than normal ) . So , earlier pre 60 cars had 22” core wide max opening  but taller by and inch or two , however the bottom longer part is kind of shielded by the frame . The 60 up has a ~ 24 mount opening, a shorter height  radiator  but they used a 22 core still , the wings cover the extra inch . ( this from a 62 I have , newer than that I do not know ; I personally have never seen a 24 wide core installed , even in ac ram cars ) — comment ?
The 58 had a homemade fan shroud installed   , good workmanship actually , polished stainless(!) indicating prior owner was fighting overheat . After a drive hoses got rock hard , always on edge of blowing off coolant . Just not happy . Fan a long way from core ,
The real problem is a two row radiator cannot reject enough heat to cool a big block , it has nothing or little to do with all the other variables imho . Driving on highway provides plenty of air , still runs toward hot, when you slow down .  Heat rejection is 1/3 more, on 3 row , a  huge leap . So was on way to changing to three row core(  really a  B block requirement ) but bottom tank is smaller on the two row , it does not fit three row core ( top was all I looked  at, seemed ok for both) = wrong assumption   .
3-4 row new are 1 k (!) . But the added row increases the radiator thickness toward the fan , important to know .  Space to fan indicates ? It once had a three row +

The three ( or any row ) vintage core as it ages also has  a problem I did not know about , these radiators are prone to corrosion right where the tubes enter the plate under the top tank ; radiator guy said can’t fix that it will leak there in months . A  Factory swaged joint . A new core includes a new top plate , this  joint is then new fyi . So my core looked great but was not useable , close inspection showed evidence of glue or epoxy repair at that point under tank on passenger side , so radiator guy was correct .
On this non concours car ( not a three hundred. ) a driver,  I ended up with new 4 row aluminum 22” one for under 200 on ebay , 1.5” at least closer to fan , but for a 300 probably have to spend the big dollars .
 Used might be dicey over this joint corrosion.

I don’t like look of aluminum , should have painted , but well made , apparently from China , welded , had to drill new holes in flange .. took a while to find correct upper inlet location , generally either near center or way over on passenger side . Inlet  pipe I think 1.5 is smaller , you can buy adapter sleeve , — I realize club doing restoration may not want this , but an option to know about . It sure won’t run hot with 4 rows …
Hope this helps!
Input welcome .
John G

Sent from my iPhone